2010 ultimate challenge

bow

Thanks Nick :)

Was a good shakedown for the trusty beast :P and we both enjoyed how the punches were laid out, made it challenging with one way in punches, not just the usual drive up to a random tree to find a punch.

Thanks to those who gave me the odd push on saturday whilst i became familiar with the limits of the truck :lol: and Dan thanks for getting me in the water, wouldnt have done it without your persistance ;)Bit deeper than we thought though aye :P

Well done to the landy behind us... to be fair i didnt realise how close you were to us lol, how did you manage not to break them axles on the rocks :blink:

Thanks

Alex

was a good weekend, thanks to all involved, well done Alex, was just as much fun watching you, some of your air-born antics on Saturday were impressive,

nice to see you all again, thanks for your input on Sunday Nick, you know what I'm talking about, could have easily got out of hand, thanks again mate ;)

hope to see you all soon,

all the best,

Bow.. :D

The Ultimate 2010

Well, apart for the few 'elite', you all missed a great event and we missed you.

Ed Cobley really put together some great punches, most were very technical, all were more difficult than usual and many were VERY high and for sad people like me who get nervous standing over a drain provided some extra exercise for one's anal sphincter. Most punches were set up in a special stage type format where you had long tricky drives and winch pulls through gates until you reached the clearly marked punch and then back out the way you came in. No hunt-the-punch on this event. Average punch time 40 mins. Nobody had seen or driven a Tixover or Yarwell like this. It has to be said: one site per day really worked and gave the event a solid pace. Well done Ed!

polaris.jpg

Congratulations to Alex who won in his Polaris (about the same price as 2 x Twin Giggles- I want one)

I am delighted that Alex, our team mate for the Transylvania Trophy (he'll be co. driving his Dad's Landrover there) wins the silver key ring.

We will of course be making a special version of the key ring based on the 12 inch wheels of the Polaris - gonna save a ton of silver ;-)

HOWEVER technically: well in my book anyway, because I believe that the core event is about getting two tons of vehicle into difficult places, Bryn Hemming, yes he is back and as agricultural as ever! won the event in a 1973 Landrover, with a welded-up back diff, a Trutrac on the front, the slowest low-line winch I think I have ever seen and running wire NOT plasma.

Thanks to the Cobleys for putting on a great event and their 'the-show-must-go-on' attitude even though the marshals outnumbered the competitors.

A word of warning!

I gave a little more to this event than usual, in the shape of the top joint of one of my fingers, I'm back to Cambridge Hospital on Wednesday for plastic surgery and some digit reconstruction. Now I have great respect for the equipment we use, am no idiot and was doing everything correctly, But ERROR: I hadn't notice that the front plasma had looped up ever so slightly so when 'OUT' became 'IN' my hand, which wasn't in any contact with the rope, not even holding it, was whipped 12 inches against the bend in the front wing in a nano second and in a crescendo of pain the permanent damage was done. I have to say a big thank you to Dominique Brione my co driver for not fainting; actually he's getting quite used to seeing people lose fingers to the mighty winch. (a ref. to 2009 Transylvania) Thanks to Wayne for his immediate first aid (this guy digs survivors out of the ground in earth quake disasters in his spare time, make sure he is in the truck behind you every time you compete) and thank you to Maria 'Nursey' and Guy for driving me to the hospital. I have to say that Maria's driving did manage to take my mind off the pain and worry of losing a finger to a genuine concern about losing my life. Thanks to Bryn for driving my rig and Landy back home. Thanks of course to my son Luke, who arrived on site to watch his Dad and team car perform just as the accident happened. Sorry to mess up your day Son, I promise I won't mess up this coming Saturday (his wedding day), only sorry that I can no longer be 100% present, if you see what I mean.

Enjoy - but be careful!