another new winch bumper

Hi all

Thought i'd share some pictures of my new bumper. Im almost finished, got to do some trimming and cut a few holes then paint. Wanted best possible approach angle so its mounted ontop of the chassis rails and right back against cross member.

All in 5mm mild, except up rights which are 6mm. Main tray is S shape, with plate underneath sloping back to the bottom of the main bolt, wings are u sections raked back and up with backs welded in. Put are pair of bent triangle gussets in to brace the wing sections.

I like the design, looks nice an clean and should be plenty strong (my welding is probably the weak point!). Just need to work out recovery points

Nick

post-14295-126850627262_thumb.jpg

post-14295-12685063227_thumb.jpg

post-14295-126850633563_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Thought i'd share some pictures of my new bumper. Im almost finished, got to do some trimming and cut a few holes then paint. Wanted best possible approach angle so its mounted ontop of the chassis rails and right back against cross member.

All in 5mm mild, except up rights which are 6mm. Main tray is S shape, with plate underneath sloping back to the bottom of the main bolt, wings are u sections raked back and up with backs welded in. Put are pair of bent triangle gussets in to brace the wing sections.

I like the design, looks nice an clean and should be plenty strong (my welding is probably the weak point!). Just need to work out recovery points

Nick

That looks VERY good! Interesting seeing as I'm thinking of making one instead of spending silly money and that's a very similar design to what I'm aiming for too - Thanks for sharing this...

Cheers, Brian

• 2 years later...

Nick that looks really good, do you have guillotines and benders to cut and shape the steel or was it done with a grinder and hammer/clamps?

With regard to the recovery points, something like this may be useful http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Off-Road-4x4-Recovery-Towing-Eyes-Tow-Hook-warn-8274-winch-gwynn-lewis-4x-/180816805226?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item2a19857d6a#ht_1495wt_956

It may be a bit late now if the back face of the bumper is sealed, but when I spoke to Richards chassis about putting them onto my new chassis, they said they drill through the face, weld the sides of the loops along the verticals and also into the face. It's difficult to explain but I can take a picture of my D44 bumper if you like?