Testing a TD5 Dual Mass Flywheel - Possible?

Thanks Les, mine's getting done tomorrow by a workshop, I've not time. I hope to be able to reveal all, but it now feels like a worn-out clutch, slipping under load all the time and smelling.. How would the slave cylinder make the clutch slip, by staying under pressure?

Ed

Yes how could the slave cylinder cause the clutch to slip? not operate yes but how does it affect the pressure applied by the pressure plate or do you mean it was leaking fluid onto the clutch?

Where is the Fuel reg located, directly above the bell housing? can the diesel be seen leaking externally or only when you remove the gearbox?

The fuel pressure reg is on the side of the cylinder head above the starter motor. The leak is an external one and can be seen.

The problem tends to be that it only leaks when engine is running and starts as a drip and gets worse from there.

In our case, it is made worse, as we have had power upgrades done to our engines, if we had not I don't think we would have noticed it so early.

Hope that helps

Andy

I just wanted to add a correction. In one of my posts above, I wrote that 'the mechanic had to take off the flywheel to see the fuel pressure regulator.' That isn't correct, he took the flywheel off to see how worn it was.. He replaced the FPG from above the next day, you don't have to remove the gearbox and flywheel to get at it.... Think I was still in monetary shock when I wrote it..

I wonder if anyone can offer advice on hydraulic seals to replace the 'O' rings.. I might wite to a well-known magazine to see if they can oblige..

I wonder if anyone can offer advice on hydraulic seals to replace the 'O' rings.. I might wite to a well-known magazine to see if they can oblige..

Hello EdF,

I replaced just the 2 Orings of the fuel pressure regulator, and it worked for me, the leak has been solved; basically, you need to remove the regulator block and extract the regulating valve, which is held by a seeger ring. When the valve is out, you replace the 2 orings: pay attention, you MUST buy Viton Orings (Viton is a special rubber, much more resistant to oil and temperature than the standard one). The codes for the orings are as follows: 3081 the larger one, 3021 the smaller one.

Honest price should be 2 euros each...

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, Silvio. Next time it happens I'll be ready! I have the old unit so I'll be able to keep a spare one. I wish the mechanic had known about that, it would have saved me Euro170!!

I too have the old unit and will have a look at a O-ring change in the old unit.

I had new FPR fitted Friday and the clutch well sprayed with brake cleaner (via wade plug), and all is good. Think a big thank you is needed for John of Croytec who told me about the FPR leeking causing the clutch slipping, and I have certainly saved money by going to the Indoor 4x4 Show.

Andy

or you could have read my reply on page 1 of this post. ;) ;) ;)

Personally I wonder if it's seals related. In the colder weather seals do contract. I need to get off my derriere and check out everything. I have heard of the fuel regulator leaking and it seeping into the bellhousing. This is just hearsay though no proof. My TD5 happens so infrequently that I haven't got around to it.

But he was the proof, and added several other important facts such as, you won't notice it with your fuel economy, you won't smell diesel, the leak will not look like diesel as it is washing the back of the engine and bell housing so will look like oil.

Andy