Pump tweaking help

Hello, I have a 1992 200tdi 90, and a couple a weeks ago i read ALOT of the posts about pump tweaking so i thought i would give it go to see what kind of difference it makes. I firstly took the top cap off and turned the smoke screw 180 degrees clockwise at a time until it starts smoking and knocked it back a bit, no real problem there, i then took the cover off marked the diaphram at the 12 0'clock postion and moved that 90 degrees clockwise again no problem until i came to remove the diaphram to gain access to the star wheel, the nut just undun which surely makes the adjustment to the diaphram piontless?? (i mayby having a dumb moment here :unsure: ) also when i got to the star wheel i wouldn't turn at all, i tried useing a screw driver to pry it but no success i was reluctant to try too hard as i didnt want to brake anything.

Any thoughts?

cheers

ethan

Are you sure the starwheel is solid or is it screwed down as far as it will go? Will it unscrew?

As for the conical pin, it should just pull out, but you might need to rotate it gently and try different positions to get it to pull out.

Did you undo the nut on the Diaphragm?

that certainly is not in the tech archive.

The star wheel, lift the tension spring with a small screwdriver to see if it will turn in either direction, and I suggest far smaller degrees of rotation than 90degrees first attempt

on my 300tdi 45 degrees is the difference of 24mpg to 10mpg so I would preach a little at a time

once you have put the nut back on :ph34r:

I got the impression the nut was loose and came off as the OP tried to turn the diaphragm. I dont think it was removed on purpose.

I did this tweak to my 110 200tdi. It has made no difference at all. The fuelling is up as far as it will go, starwheel turned down 1 1/2 turns. I havent touched the max speed screw. I will have to have another look at it after i have checked the boost (now i have time to fit my boost gauge). But white 90 is correct, perform changes gradually, one at a time and make a note of what you ahve done so you can undo any changes if you wish.

with the diaphragm, to pull it out, just get your fingers under the rubber, and try and get under the metal, and pull. there is a bit of resistiance but it will come up. and try and loosen the retainer to the star wheel.

reb78, did you turn the diaphragm at all? try marking it then turning it 30 degrees clockwise. test it, then fine tune it from there. that changes the main fuelling under different loads etc. mine made a world of difference, especially when i turned up the turbo to suit.

Yep. I turned it. I think it had already been turned slightly. The deepest and steepest bit of the cone faces forward so the pin can come out as far as possible. I have almost no smoke unless under full throttle, so something cant be quite right, hence wanting to check the boost pressure next - perhaps it isnt boosting properly, so turning the cone hasnt done much as it isnt pushed down under boost. The diaphragm is in good condition. Perhaps the pump is worn.

I didnt want to undo the nut, but the pin wouldnt lift out so i carefully marked everything and undid the nut whilst making sure the diaphram and what the nut was threaded on didnt turn and took the nut off took everything off bit by bit making note of what order it came off, i didnt see anything wrong with this at the time as everything was going to go back the way it was.

I tried it again today, the pin moved a little but still didnt come out so i took the nut off again to get to the star wheel and managed to get it to move this time so i turned it 90 degrees clockwise, i did this because i wanted to get a quick idea of what kind of difference there was and i could change it back if things werent right. At the moment i havent noticed any difference at all to performance as for mpg its to early to tell, i havent touched the turbo yet but from what ive read i should feel a difference.

At the moment i cant get over 65mph on a flat road i have got 35" tyres on it with standard running gear so im not expecting to break the land speed record i just want a little more oomph, knowing my luck there is probrably something else wrong with it.

thanks for the replies

ethan

If the pin will not come out then there is a fair chance the pin has seized/partially seized due to water getting in there. you need the work the pin up/down to try and free the pin in the housing, otherwise the adjustments are a waste of time as the pin is not moving out allowing more fuel flow.

• 1 month later...

I have recently tweaked my 200 tdi. went the whole hog as mine was sloooow.

used this link http://www.stonefisk...uning_Rev.2.pdf

Very informative. Print it out, stand over the engine and understand what is what BEFORE tampering.I took notes as suggested and test the mods out as i went.

As i have an auto 200 the smoke screw was turn 1.5 turns as the engine is never laboured off boost due to the box. Little puff on start up, MUCH better take off from a junction etc due to having upped the off boost fueling.

Turned the diaphram approx 180 deg to the max fuelling, easy to work out once you have read and understood what is what in the pump. Nice haze on full boost now but again never fully loaded up untill it locks into top gear.

And finally i turned up the boost, approx 5-6 turns of the actuator, making it longer, to hold the boost higher. Much improved performance, will get to lock up speed, 45 ish, much easier now and will carry on accelerating over the legal limit.

I have no EGT guage but have seen no ill effect and no massive rise in water temp etc. Again being an auto you don't drive it as hard as a manual. I had to retighten the boost hoses as they were singing...passing boost a little due to around 1- 1.1 bar of boost now. INtercooler upgrades on the cards next.

If you are sensible this is the best mod i believe can be done on a 200 tdi for no cost what so ever.

All the usual disclaimers applywink.gif but i like it