Grizzy claw tyres

I've ran them for the past 12 months, both on and off road on my 90.

My 90 has always been a bit of a handful anyway, so I've not noticed any problems on road, they are noisy, the wear rate isn't too bad. I have seemed to continully adjust wheel bearings, which I've heard grizzlies can cause excessive wear on, however they've been fine for the last 3 months after I tried a new method of setting the wheel bearings.

They aren't round, the lugs cause the wheel to rock right and left when you roll them, and you can feel the lugs effect at low speed on road.

Off road - seem to have done very well, always seemed to take me where I wanted. I'm running 285/75R16 so about 33"

If I was investing brand new (the grizzilies are a bit of legacy effect) I might be tempted by the larger size silverstone extreme or simex, but they are at least an extra £50 a corner, and I think I am being seduced by bigger is better :)

Had a set on the rangie bob, would not go out and buy a set !!

They did come with the bob,so do not know how old they were, but they cracked/warped around the large side lug of the tyre, as this took all the weight, not good if its left parked up for a while !!

The 5th one was new, and allways lost pressure, we found a hole in one of the blocks/lugs, as never used, must have been a fault !! drove it for a couple of miles, and changed them ASAP, but saying that, all down to price/budget , but not for me !!

anyone on here with grizzy claw tyres that can tell what they are like on and off road as im thinking of getting a set

Cheers

matt

Have to say I wouldn't bother with GCs as they do suffer from all the aforementioned problems and are LOUD! I have a set of 235/85 Bronco Rough Riders which have a pattern that's virtually identical to BFG mud terrains but cost about £160 less for four. They look good, seem to be well made and are reasonably quiet. Also I seem to be able to go pretty much anywhere my mate can go with his Grizzlies, whilst my Rough Riders are way better on the road. It all depends on whether you can live with tyres with a name that sounds like a brand of contraceptive!

personally i wouldn't touch remoulds, i'm not gonig to start a row about build quality or anything, its just they are not for me.

i sometimes tow a trailer and the thought of almost 6 tonnes bearing down on my front tyres under heavy breaking means that remoulds are not for me. :)

probably doesn't help much, sorry. :huh:

We brought the 90 with them already fitted. There quite loud on the road but after a while you get used to it. But offroad we find them superb and they take us anywhere we want to go.

I've been in vehicles with them fitted - they are LOUD and at low speeds you can count every single block of tread as it hits the road. They seem to do very well off-road but wear out pretty quickly on-road, not to mention aparrently quite scary to drive.

Well I have a set on my hybrid and have enjoyed them for the last two winters and a summer. I drive to the events and play on them with no problems. I drove my hybrid to Belguim and did the Belguim national and then drove home again with NO problems. Had them up to some silly speeds(email me for acurate speeds).

I am very happy with them and would not hesitate to buy another set.

personally i wouldn't touch remoulds, i'm not gonig to start a row about build quality or anything, its just they are not for me.

i sometimes tow a trailer and the thought of almost 6 tonnes bearing down on my front tyres under heavy breaking means that remoulds are not for me. :)

probably doesn't help much, sorry. :huh:

A lot of lorry/wagon tyres are supposed to be remoulds and they are dragging around loads of weight :-)

I have heard that GCs can suffer from a bit of variable quality - on the other hand, when I dealt with Bronco, they seemed decent and would probably be responsive if you had a problem

Bronco are not responsive if you have a problem - I had blocks shedding from my Dirt Devils and they told me to buy replacements, wouldn't entertain a replacement under warranty. That said, I bought a set of 285/75 Grizzlys subsequently because the price is good. They're noisy and wear very fast, but seem to do well offroad. On the road you have to be willing to handle their 'characteristics'. As my Ninety is my everyday car, I bought a set of road tyres and rims too.

I trashed one sidewall last time out, and I'm trying to decide whether to buy one more, a pair from another manufacturer or another full set from somewhere. My 3 tyres are worthless on their own but I'm reticent to buy one brand new Grizzly. I wouldn't buy them again.

Some of the older grizleys do suffer with tread blocks lifting and cracking, as did there predessor the dirt devil. The first set i bought had pronounced bulges in the sidewalls around the big lugs, but the second set didn't.

But they are very light tyre half the wieght of a dirt devil or a fedima, keeps the rotating mass down helps with breakages!

I've just seen off my second set in 3 years, And i have found they work very well on all surfaces which i found for trialling was perfect.

A lot of lorry/wagon tyres are supposed to be remoulds and they are dragging around loads of weight :-)

yeah, and most airliners use remould tyres, and i'm sure the loading on their tyres is a bit more than mine.. but i still wouldn't buy them..

i've got one set in my mums garden (she's growing potatoes in them!!!) that have delaminated, (not grizzlies, colway i think) so thats enough for me. <_<

having said that, if they were just for 'play days' and stuff, and not on my daily driver i'm sure i'd feel differently. ;)

Interesting, cos I remember when I was being rude about Broncos in the past, people telling me that no they were good and now they were made properly to BS whatever and in a different factory to the old ones and they didn't fall to bits and blah blah blah

So they are still cr@p then

thought so :)

Why not go for Black Star Guyanes? I have a set of these and they are well behaved in the wet or dry. They last well, and I've driven a 90 and a 109 with these tyres on. Good off-road tyre as well, with tough side walls and side lugs.

Les. :)

Why not go for Black Star Guyanes? I have a set of these and they are well behaved in the wet or dry. They last well, and I've driven a 90 and a 109 with these tyres on. Good off-road tyre as well, with tough side walls and side lugs.

Les. :)

I bought a set of black star maxicross tyres, from black star.

Ordered and paid for 5, 4 turned up (late) i never have got the 5th one or a refund.

Useless customer service.

I've got a set on mine. Much quieter on the road than the previous set of general SAG's, and much better handling on the road to boot.

Off road they definately work better if you air them down to about 17 psi. I run tubes in mine and have had no problems.

Only thing I would add is that I thought re-moulds were supposed to be cheap! I can get brand new brand named mud terrains in the same size for less money! To my mind £105 for a 285/75 (the ones I run) is alot for a re-mould when you consider you can buy brand Wildcat EXT in the same size for £91!

Jon

The older bronco tyres where shockingly poor quality IMHO, dirt devils and early grizzly's, but now I hear they are alledgedly made at the Colway factory, and hence the quility is much improved.

To my mind £105 for a 285/75 (the ones I run) is alot for a re-mould when you consider you can buy brand Wildcat EXT in the same size for £91!

You wouldn't pay that for a BFG MT either! Less than £100 a corner fitted!

Chris

I've just seen off my second set in 3 years, And i have found they work very well on all surfaces which i found for trialling was perfect.

Would you mind estimating the number of miles you have covered over the last 3 years?

Chris