Noise after tyre change

Glen

"cost to replace VCU and support bearings £725"

I note that you say you have removed the props and VCU yourself - contact Bell Engineering for a rebuilt VCU and bearings, mine have just cost me £210. Ken also does rebuilt IRDs at £615 (both plus surcharge until faulty items returned to Bell.

www.bellengineering.co.uk

"I would advise anybody to get rid off at the first sign of these problems.Worst 4x4 ever made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

A bit unfair as it is quite possible that you brought this on yourself by initially fitting the new tyres to the front in spite of the handbook saying this should not be done (how long were they on there by the way?). In addition, are all the tyres the same brand / pattern as if not then this could also have caused the problem (different tyres of the same size often have different dimensions)?

I agree, it does seem strange that the vehicle should be so sensitive to tyres & tyre wear but LR did cover this all in the handbook, I think that people just don't look into this and replace tyres as they would with a 'normal' vehicle.

I did some checking before my wife bought her Freelander (plenty of information out there in magazines, buyers guides, forums etc) and made sure that the one she bought was running the same tyres and that there were no unusual signs of wear, luckily it is still wearing the original tyres (including a brand-new spare) so I know this hasn't happened to her vehicle.

After the tyres were changed (which were like for like) as I know the issues freelanders have, it was driven from the supplier to home about 2 miles and then changed to the rear!

Have arranged to have VCU fitted by Bell Engineering will also take advice from them as vehicle still has some vibration.

• 1 year later...