head gasket cost

rodders

You need to make sure you get the MLS gasket (Multi-Layered Shim Steel). The one secifically for the Freelander 1.8 will also come with a head saver and 2 steel locating dowels.

med_gallery_2_435_1369837.jpg

This thread covers the work involved -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22464

The job can be done easily in a day if the head isn't skimmed (but it should be at least checked).

Expect to pay about £300 at a garage, down to about £200 elsewhere.

Les.

• 5 months later...

If the head gasket has blown, then the head should be checked for flatness, and then possibly a skim to either get it flat again, or to restore the face (£20 round here). Head set (MLS, head saver, dowels), about £23. Other gaskets, such as inlet and exhaust - about £10, so £43 so far. Total labour time is 2-3 hrs, so maybe £150 on top of that - depending on the garage labour rates. I have heard of garages charging £500 or more to do what is really a straight-forward job (some even say the engine needs replacing :) ). Dodgy characters aside - maybe £300. I have done so many of these that the K-series engine head gasket is the only one that I have a set price on (barring unforseen problems).

Les.

If the head gasket has blown, then the head should be checked for flatness, and then possibly a skim to either get it flat again, or to restore the face (£20 round here). Head set (MLS, head saver, dowels), about £23. Other gaskets, such as inlet and exhaust - about £10, so £43 so far. Total labour time is 2-3 hrs, so maybe £150 on top of that - depending on the garage labour rates. I have heard of garages charging £500 or more to do what is really a straight-forward job (some even say the engine needs replacing :) ). Dodgy characters aside - maybe £300. I have done so many of these that the K-series engine head gasket is the only one that I have a set price on (barring unforseen problems).

Les.

I agree with Les the K series head gasket is pretty standard and easy to do - great access etc..

Where abouts are you? maybe someone could help you out?

Marty