What engine mounts to use ?

After changing my 2,5 NA engine for an ex-Disco 200 TDI, I am now very happy with the performance.

The only issue with this conversion is that it left me with a lot of vibrations going through my Defender on idle speed.

I used new mounting rubbers but stuck to the old style (NA/TD mounts)

The 200 TDI in a Disco (don’t know about Defender) has a very different type of engine mount and I’m sure that’s for a good reason.

I was wondering if someone here has the same “problem” and how did you solve it ?

Was thinking along the lines of softer mounting rubber or….ahhhmmmm ???

Thanks,

Edwin

PS I've ruled out the possibility of something rubbing against the chassis, so must be mounts !?

doubt they will be harder than new ones,but check the upper & lower metal plates with the stud on are actually attached to the rubber blocks, what idle speed are you getting, 750 to 800rpm is about right for a 200tdi.

Good to know that Defender mounts are the same for NA, TD and TDI !

Not sure about the current rpm's on idle, might be just a tiny bit high........will try to adjust it soon and see what happens.

Thanks for the idea !

Edwin

Tell me Edwin.. Did you install new engine mounts? It's just because all the non OEM engine mounts I've had, has all been rock hard! I can't seem to find any that are as soft as the originals. My dad has the same problem on his 88" petrol. The whole car vibrates and it's like the engine is mounted solid to the chassis! It has Britpart mounts. So I think you should either source some new genuine or some used genuine. There is definitely a noticeable difference, even in your hands, you can feel they are softer.

I had the same issues, bought pattern rubber mounts only to find they made it worse. On mine, there was an annoying resonance at 50-60 mph, exactly the normal road speed. I happened to find a professional company that sold me some isolators for industrial use. Problem solved. I can't be any more specific, but try to find something industrial with the same measurements.

Genuine might be the key word here... I bought pattern ones (Allmakes, so it's not only Britpart that supplies s**t) for V8s since I had heard somewhere that they were softer than the ones for diesels. Well, as said, they were even harder than my old ones.

Tell me Edwin.. Did you install new engine mounts? It's just because all the non OEM engine mounts I've had, has all been rock hard! I can't seem to find any that are as soft as the originals. My dad has the same problem on his 88" petrol. The whole car vibrates and it's like the engine is mounted solid to the chassis! It has Britpart mounts. So I think you should either source some new genuine or some used genuine. There is definitely a noticeable difference, even in your hands, you can feel they are softer.

Hi,

Yes I did use new mounts but I got them from a military surplus-company, they are certainly new but Genuine part ?? don't think so !!

Could very well be Britpart.

Recently I ordered two different mounts: STC434 (genuine), they a suitable for just about any pre-1994 Land Rover and should also fit V8 models.

So I'm hoping that with these new mounts and some adjustment to the idle speed all will be OK…..finally !

I just had four off bearmach and they are Britpart looking items :angry: I paid for genuine ones ,,, They are rock solid and much harder than ones I fitted to customers 110 last week

we get alot of behicles with the mounts actually separated from the metal backing ...

maybe it would be possible to source some genuine ones at LRseries? I have found them most helpful on other occasions, albeit a bit slow at times. Worth a try I would say.

Or go straight to the manufacturer, type A is the kiddie, M10 thread, medium hardness, I'm guessing there's a diameter and height that will suit in there somewhere.

What is the "rubber sound insulating cover" that was mentioned? I haven't heard of this on a 200TDI before.

for Discovery 200tdi it's the same as the 300tdi engine item

for the Defender 200tdi it was/is a RRC part ERR3276 you won't find a picture in the parts book, just the details in the parts list

for Discovery 200tdi it's the same as the 300tdi engine item

for the Defender 200tdi it was/is a RRC part ERR3276 you won't find a picture in the parts book, just the details in the parts list

Cor, nuffin' excapes the Western gaze! :lol:

Not only not in the parts book diagrams, but I'd not seen one either and deceived wisdom suggested new at 300TDi - you learn something every day!

Cor, nuffin' excapes the Western gaze! :lol:

Not only not in the parts book diagrams, but I'd not seen one either and deceived wisdom suggested new at 300TDi - you learn something every day!

I found one & fitted it to my engine, need another soon as the current one is breking up, it's not as flexible as the Disco version.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update:

I've changed the mounting rubbers and it has improved.

On idle speed, I used to have shaking doors, mirrors, windows, gearstick, cubbybox, seats etc etc.

Now only the two side windows rattle like crazy.

Even while driving, it's definitely more silent.

Must say that the old rubbers are noticeably harder than the genuine one's.

Next step is adjusting the idle speed and a swap from the gearbox mounting-rubbers.

Edwin

Sorted !

I turned up the idle speed just a bit and it's almost perfect (well…for a Land Rover) now.

Must admit that it runs a bit high now, but at least the windows don't wind them self down while waiting at the traffic lights in the morning :D

Thanks everyone !

Edwin.

This has come up before. I had the same problem with mine after I replaced the TD lump with a defender spec 200 tdi.

Went on the original genuine mounts. The tdi does vibrate more at idle especialy when cold, that's just standard. Part of the problem is the exhaust mounts. The old system uses the metal sleeved rubbers, these are quite rigid, tdi systems have the figure of 8 type rubber hangers that allow a lot more movement in the exhaust. I'd put a proper tdi system on it, but as it has a full stainless I just put up with a few extra vibes. It's not bad, it's just you notice it when you first change engines.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Just over a year after doing the conversion, I finally solved the vibration-issue completely:

I fitted engine mounting rubbers from Glencoyne 4x4.

Not cheap but a very very good quality product !!!

Just to let you know......