Advice needed

garyjrode

Hello all.

I need some advise on my options, my D2 4.0 V8 is now dead, one cylinder has little to no compression. I haven’t got the head off yet to see if it is a valve or rings issue.

Before I dive into that I was wondering on the possibility of putting in a 4.6 engine,

So my question is what kind of a head ache would this be, I have an auto box and the vehicle is a 2000 year ES model,

what would need upgrading to be compatible ignition etc, as I don’t suppose it would be a simple swap out.

Secondly if I was to buy a second hand 4.0 engine how do I tell what ignition system I currently have, be it Bosch or Sagem.

Thanks Gary

Give or take, the 4.0 and 4.6 blocks interchange so physically you just bolt one in place of the other and everything else will bolt back on. What the ECU will make of that I'm not sure, it may be possible to either buy a 4.6 ECU cheap or get yours reprogrammed. Normally I'd advise ditching it and going MegaSquirt but I don't know how tied into the alarm/immobiliser/BECM the setup on your car may be, so that can complicate things a tad.

Give or take, the 4.0 and 4.6 blocks interchange so physically you just bolt one in place of the other and everything else will bolt back on. What the ECU will make of that I'm not sure, it may be possible to either buy a 4.6 ECU cheap or get yours reprogrammed. Normally I'd advise ditching it and going MegaSquirt but I don't know how tied into the alarm/immobiliser/BECM the setup on your car may be, so that can complicate things a tad.

Thanks FridgeFreezer