HD rear springs for Disco 300TDi

i want to change the rear springs in my 1996 disco for some heavy duty ones, ahead of or Morocco trip as we'll have a fair bit of weight in the back and i want it to sit level. :)

i don't want to increase the ride height, although a few mm when empty is fine...

so i'm after some heavy duty, preferably genuine part rear springs...

anyone done this? got any part number suggestions? any other good ideas? :huh:

i looked at the spring bible page in the tech archive but couldn't realy decide...

do i need different springs left and right, or can i fit two the same...?

cheers

m@tt. :)

Depends who you listen to, but given that most Discos list to the drivers side, "handed" would be a good idea I think.

I think the Discovery rears are about the strongest of the Genuine springs without going to 110 rears which are a bigger diameter, so you may have to go for aftermarket to get what you want.

I had Famous Four HD standard height ones but I also know of rather a lot of broken Famous Four ones round these parts so wouldn't necessarily recommend them.... though i never had any problems personally (vehicle was sold a long time ago)

Nice orange ones I reckon :ph34r:

Nice orange ones I reckon :ph34r:

yeah right.... :angry:

thanks for your reply steve, i havent spotted anything that realy seamed to fit the bill... i've got no problem with what i've got on there at the moment, just think with all our tools, spares, camping stuff, roof tent, water and diesel the standard springs are going to sag a bit....

thanks

m@tt.

Why not do what I did with my 90 before I went away last Christmas, assuming you are happy with it as it is (ride height)

- measure a known point (I used the towing hitch) when empty

- load it up with what you are going to be carrying (or estimate the weight you'll be carrying and use sandbags/bricks/children or something to simulate that)

- measure your known reference point again and work out how much it dropped when you loaded it up

- fit a set of spring lifters (mine are Mill Services ones) to compensate for that drop

I used 1.5" lifters which sits a little high when empty but sits just how I want it when fully loaded up with everything I carry.

It worked well on my 90, and they don't take that long to fit prior to the trip and remove again afterwards. I could have just bought a set of HD springs but I didn't want the ride "quality" of those :)

A lot cheaper than a decent quality set of springs, and you will know exactly what lift you are going to end up with. The Mill Services ones I got are available in 0.5", 1", 1.5" and 2" sizes and I think he will make others up to order.

Otherwise the heavy duty 90 rears will be about the stiffest available for anything apart from a Discovery but I have no idea how they compare on spring rate with a Discovery rear (they will almost certainly be shorter though)

Your other option would be a set of the air helper springs sold by the likes of Matt Savage, I nearly bought a set of those when I was looking at what to do.

thats a good idea, i might give that a go when i get the cargo drawer installed, then i'll have a better idea what i'm loading in to it....... :)

i know what you mean about ride 'quality' the 110 i was running around in before christmas had +2" blue bearmach springs, talk about 'ard.. :(

cheers...

dumb question now... i take it they go underneath the spring.. do i have to remove the anti-roll bar and the shock absorber in order to fit/remove them?

dumb question now... i take it they go underneath the spring.. do i have to remove the anti-roll bar and the shock absorber in order to fit/remove them?

yes yes and yes :)

remove spring, take off lower spring seat fit lifter and refit spring seat on top using longer bolts

What about a set of polyairs, I want to get a set for our 110, so you can keep the std spring rates and then put some extra air in the polyairs when loaded up.

It also saves having to raise the vehicle, so you can keep you std vehicle height.

Simmonites sell spring assisters which I think are the things cols110 mentioned. It will mean that, once the trip is over, your car can be returned to normal. Personally I have a set of OME uprate springs and OME nitro charger shocks on my Discovery.

Cheers

Ivan

Guest diesel_jim
yes yes and yes :)

remove spring, take off lower spring seat fit lifter and refit spring seat on top using longer bolts

they look like this when fitted:

closeupcompressedspring.jpg

this is on my 90. i made my spacers out of some aluminium solid bar i got from the local steel factors. they even cut it off for me on their band saw (which was considerably quicker than doing with a hacksaw! :o and a lot straighter too! :D )

I know what you mean about the blue bearmach 110 springs... i've just fitted some to my 110, when loaded it'e nice, but when empty..... :unsure: ..... where did my fillings go?