starter motors

hi there

can anyone tell me the difference in starter motors,

i have a 110 300tdi,

there is lots of different prices from about £100 right up to £400 :angry:

also do you get money back for the old one??

where should i shop for the best deal?? ;)

thank you

liam

At one time it seemed there were only two manufacturers of tdi starter motors, Valeo and Bosch. They were at least the only ones I was ever offered.

I got through 4 Valeo motors, each one lasted about 50-60k before giving trouble, always weak solenoid/sticky pinion gear.

The last motor was Bosch LR Gen Parts. It lasted 80K without trouble but jammed recently. The cause was the reduction gearbox inside breaking up. There was little visible wear, it needed a cleanout but there was plenty of brush length left in the motor.

Compared to a Bosch OEM motor, the OEM one had no dust seals inside, so the gen parts motor would probably last much better/give less trouble if used offroad.

Last motor I bought (2 weeks ago) was branded 'Global Power' on the box. No visible makers marks on the motor or solenoid. It came with a convincing looking set of test results, and was cheapish. It works at the moment, I know no more.

My Bosch OEM motor had a busted outer casing, but had done very low miles - I have rebuilt it into the Gen Parts casing and put it on the shelf ready for next time :)

The cheapest ones are usually Prestolite, which are phenominally rubbish. I usually fit Valeo, and have had no problems with them so far. Bosch are the top end of the market, and are usually very good. There are other makes though - Lucas, Caftec (Camberley Auto's), both of which seem fine.

Les.

The cheapest ones are usually Prestolite, which are phenominally rubbish. I usually fit Valeo, and have had no problems with them so far. Bosch are the top end of the market, and are usually very good. There are other makes though - Lucas, Caftec (Camberley Auto's), both of which seem fine.

Les.

cheers guys

im off shopping the world wide web so, think ill splash out save me the trouble in a year or two.

liam