P38 V8 Fan Disintegrated

MartinM

I had the scary experience of the fan disintegrating whilst accelerating hard. The devestating result was the fan effectively exploded, destroying the cowling above and sending shrapnel into the radiator - the top hose actually severed - and up under the bonnet leaving a nice hilly range across the middle of the bonnet.

Reason for this posting - aside from wondering if others have ever experienced similar - is to sound out whether anyone knows of a unloved bonnet for a p38 - 2000 MY preferably in Alveston Red.

Appreciate this is a really long shot but a straight forward swap may end out cheaper than a bodyshop fix. Before you ask, no my insurance doesn't cover body damage resulting from mechanical failure.

Probably there's no hurry for this as the extra kinks will doubtless make a feature for awhile - but ultimately I am thinking I would like to tidy this up!

Martin

Thanks for quick response... I've already picked up Fan, Radiator, Cowling and Drive Belt from Andy at P38 Spares. You don't have a cover for the aircon unit ... that went as well but I suspect they are a really odd part to source (so far no luck). Actually it's only a helath a safety item so - bearing in mind that I tend not to put my hands into it when it's running I'm not that bothered.

Regards

MM

The previous owner of mine had this issue! So I'm left with a similar dent in the bonnet! If anyone sees or has an Oxford Blue Bonnet - I'd be interested. In the same way I'm in no major rush and Martin should have first dibs ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update

I'm just about sorted - sourced a second hand bonnet P38 from Martin at Range Rover Classic Parts (Near Southampton) for not much and hoping that it'll be sprayed up and ready to go later this week.

I'm still looking for the cover for the auxiliary drive belt - but have all the other cowling (and it does make a difference to running without).

As to the reason this happens - I guess I will just have to accept that rapid acceleration of a V8 can lead to breaking something. - DOH!!

Guess we all have to remember that, at best, a P38 is a collection of parts flying along in very close formation ... any major move outside of designed tolerances leads to catastrophy!

Thanks for your support ... and anyone else wanting a bonnet for a P38 get in touch with Martin (though, Sotal, he hasn't got one in Oxford Blue at the moment!)

Regards

Martin M

Was it a genuine oe fan , as I had this happen with a aftermarket non gen fan assy, I then fitted a genuine fan , and no probs since ? The non gen fan was bought to replace the original fan that the hub had gone on . Mine was a dse not a V8 , and the bits did not get as far as the bonnet luckily

To be honest - I don't know - though I have no reason to believe it was anything but the original (2000) original. Certainly I hadn't touched it since owning the vehicle which I acquired with about 65,000 miles on the clock three years ago. The vehicle now has about 94,000 on the odo so I think we just have to accept it was 10 year old plastic which had just gone round and round too many times.

That said I don't know (without checking) when, if at all, the service schedule recommends replacing the fan! If it does - maybe this had been missed :(