115mm Angle Grinders - best buys ?

Another vote here for Einhell, mine looks like it fell out of a christmas cracker but gets abused all day long (I left it in the workshop which means it gets nicked and abused by about 5 other people building vehicles) including by a student who seems to enjoy grinding in the rain and welding in puddles :blink:

I think in the last month they went though 50 cutting discs with it, mind you since the student type can't tell the difference between a cutting disc and a grinding disc there are quite a few breakages :o

Mine is 115mm 900W and lovely yellow oily colour.

Nige, how topical. I commenced cutting my tub a couple of weekends back but had to give up when my Bosch grinder started smoking like a good'un. Kept going, couldn't see for the smoke so just closed my eyes to avoid that burning sensation to the eyballs and pressed on. Finally had to give up when it got too hot to hold with the gloves on (though by this time it was running much slower and pretty ineffective anyway). Turned it off, unplugged it and it was still smoking 30mins later though much as I was expecting it to it didn't burst into flames.

So it'll not be another Bosch (well not green anyway). 2 off cheap as chips or Makita seems to be fav suggestions so far...

I don't use a 115mm grinder, preferring a 125mm Makita (1050 watt) and a 230mm Makita for bigger stuff (which hardly ever gets used). The small Makita is over 10 years old and has copped a lot of use & abuse, including being dropped plenty of times. It's still in fine order. I use it 95% of the time because it's much lighter than the big fella, and I only go to the 230mm wheel when the 125mm wheel wont reach. I also know that parts are readily available for it here in Australia because my bro-in-law lost the locknut for his last year and was able to get a replacement over the counter.

This is the little one:

http://www.makita.com.au/catalogue/dsptool.php?tmodel=9015B

This is the big one:

http://www.makita.com.au/catalogue/dsptool.php?tmodel=GA9000

WoooooooooHo !

Wickes

Special offer

2 thats TWO for 25 squid !

850 Watt motor 2 year gaurantee

Be busy in month 23 then trying to "Kill" if not before !

Nige

I have two cheap ones that I got from B&Q when ever they start to rumble I just pack some more grease in the gears and good for another beating.. :):)

Another vote here for Einhell, mine looks like it fell out of a christmas cracker but gets abused all day long (I left it in the workshop which means it gets nicked and abused by about 5 other people building vehicles) including by a student who seems to enjoy grinding in the rain and welding in puddles :blink:

I think in the last month they went though 50 cutting discs with it, mind you since the student type can't tell the difference between a cutting disc and a grinding disc there are quite a few breakages :o

Mine is 115mm 900W and lovely yellow oily colour.

Oi! It was 25 and in two months....

I did manage to blow the fuse though by pushing it a little hard...survived though!

I have a cheapo draper one too - gets just as much abuse and still going 2 years on!