TD5 oil problem

Hi at all, I'm italian, in my def 110 td5 year 2004, i've a problem with oil light: sometimes, when i turn on the engine, the oil light takes 4 or 5 seconds to go off and simultaneously feel the engine that makes it difficult to draw oil, after that all came normal.The oil level is ok.

Can someone help me?

I also think that the problem is the oil! Td5 is very sensitive for the right kind of the oil. The only oil to be used in Td5´s is the Castrol SLX Professional Longtec for Volvo cars A5/B5 0W-30.

My friend has a LR Garage and he said that practically all the problems in Td5´s are due to a wrong oils. That said oil is quite expensive, but on the turn side you´ll get a 20 000Km oil change interval.

I have also discussed with LR factory Engineers about this issue and they also said that this is the oil to be used on Td5´s. My 110 CSW Td5 has over 230 000 Km on her and from 17-19 000 km´s after an oil change it usually needs a 1 litre refill, and then it´s an indication that the oil´s viscosity is poor and it´s dirty, so it´s time for an oil change!

Also use proper good quality oil filters, original or Coopers, and make sure that the centrifugal filter has also been changed. The oil pressure problems may also be caused by a poor quality oil filter. Change the oil filter on every oil change! The centrifugal oil filter change interval is 60 000Km´s, if I remember correctly, but make sure it has been changed. And btw. it´s not that hard to change or that difficult, that you shouldn´t do it if not sure.

If these will not cure the problem, then it´s oil pump related or more severe, but that´s where to start. i-m_so_happy.gif

Cheer´s

The handbook recommends 5W/30 (for the UK anyway), and I use a fully synthetic oil (meeting A1 + B1), from Unipart, as I change it every 6000 miles so no point spending money on extra long life oils for me.

Not sure why you are using 5W/40?

I'd suggest an oil and filter change with the correct oil and see if that sorts the problem.

The handbook recommends 5W/30 (for the UK anyway), and I use a fully synthetic oil (meeting A1 + B1), from Unipart, as I change it every 6000 miles so no point spending money on extra long life oils for me.

Not sure why you are using 5W/40?

I'd suggest an oil and filter change with the correct oil and see if that sorts the problem.

I'm using 5w40 A3/B3 because i think that the temperature range of this type of oil is better than 5w/30, and also because here in italy is hard to find ACEA A1/B1, and the owner's manual tell that "if you don't find a1/b1 you can use a3/b3". And that's all..

The next week, i try to change oil filter with a mann&hummel filter, instead of britpart..

• 4 weeks later...

Have you make the oil pump fix? maybe you have some little play in the pump and it can't send correct pressure.....

I've checked my oil sump, oil pump and oil relief valve, the result is that the oil relief valve was completely loosen. I've recheked the plug, there was no trace of thread locker. I've replaced thread locker, the oil pressure rises almost immediately now, but still not perfect, I'm considering replace entire pump, here in italy 402 euros, :((

Other Ideas??