200Tdi front prop flanges

This is such a saga. 1992 200Tdi 110 Defender, VIN JA.

I had a leaking T-box and front diff seal. Took off the front propshaft to reveal that its splines had completely seized, which caused the seal/bearing failure in the T-box. Front diff seal had failed only.

Anyway, the prop taken off is FRC8390 (which is applicable for: Defender vin CA252579 to LA939975 and I assume is the original). Bought a new one (Britpart special) and the front yokes are completely different sizes. On the new one, the diff end yoke bolt holes are closer and the UJ is smaller. The T-box end fits fine.

post-18025-126918772874_thumb.jpgpost-18025-126918779098_thumb.jpgpost-18025-126918786701_thumb.jpgpost-18025-12691879095_thumb.jpg

I think i've heard that the Defender Rover diff has different types of flanges? Looking for them i've found: STC3124 and 236632. 236632 appears to be correct for my MY with 4 splines, but the flange I have is multi-splined like STC3124.

post-18025-126918794855_thumb.jpg

But then there's also STC4858 which supercedes STC3722, which supercedes FRC3002 that Microcat says is right for my vehicle.

And now I have two propshafts with the same part code that are totally different?!? Normally I would just take the yoke off the old one and put it on the new one, but its completely rusted solid.

So now i'm confused, either:

1. I had the wrong prop and the right flange...
  2. or the right prop and the wrong flange
  3. or the prop I bought\was sent is wrong
  4. or Britpart suck

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers.

I'd go by the chassis number.

page 399, refer to notes 1 & 2 for item 1

Cheers for that. Starting to get a bit more light.

My JA 110 Defender is definitely supposed to have propshaft FRC8390. V8s and Tdi from MA have FRC8386, which then become TVB100610 for later Tdis and Td5s. Although LRseries says FRC8386 supercedes TVB100610.

However, the propshaft that I removed has one yoke like the TVB100610, but the tube is stamped FRC8390, so this leads me to believe that someone has put on the front wide angle yoke from a TVB100610 on it.

Either way, I can't reuse the old propshaft so will need to go ahead with the new one. So to make it fit I need the appropriate diff flange.

After a lot of friggin about, i've found for the Defender...

236632 - Flat sided, 4 spline flange

FRC3002 S/S by STC3722 - Round, 24 spline flange

STC4858 - Flat sided, 24 spline flange

I have FRC3002/FRC3722 and now need STC4858 to fit my FRC8390 propshaft. The only comparision i've found is from an eBay shop, and apparantly the flanges are different depths. My old one is 49mm and the one I need is 61mm. Could this cause any problems as a straight forward swap?

post-18025-126920665844_thumb.jpg

i was under the impression that most landrover diff flanges had the same bolt pattern? I had a series prop on my disco at one point.

You do realise the bolts arent equally spaced? they're closer in one direction and longer in the other? You're not just comparing the flanges with them 90degrees out are you?

i was under the impression that most landrover diff flanges had the same bolt pattern? I had a series prop on my disco at one point.

You do realise the bolts arent equally spaced? they're closer in one direction and longer in the other? You're not just comparing the flanges with them 90degrees out are you?

Now I feel like a dumbass. :blink: I've been up to my eyeballs in flanges for the last two weeks and haven't really noticed that they're not squarely spaced. The roundness vs squaredness threw me off. Still curious about what my old propshaft was though...!

Cheers guys.