Defender 90 problem

Hi guys,

Just after a little advice plz. I recently drowned my 90, 2.5td 1987 and the engine managed to gain water in through the air filter. My engine stopped. Ive removed the cylinder head but the engine wont fully turnover whilst in 5th gear as reaches a certain point then locks. I think I may have bent a conrod? Can anyone advise how to proceed now to fix, plz.

Disheartened of bracknell

If the engine has indeed "hydraulic'd" as they say, then you'll probably have done more damage than the worth to repair. If you have an interest in stripping and re-building engines and have adequate tools etc, then it might be good to at least take a look for bent conrods and other bits like pushrods (if lucky). If you pay a garage to do it then you are almost better off sourcing a replacement engine and swapping it.

Well all the top end seemed ok but was going to drain the sump and remove to see if I could see any damage without removing the block. You feel tho that this might be just a wasted exercise? Was hoping i might be able to change a bent conrod without taking it all apart but sounds like that wont be the case.

I havent tried that no. Once it had happened I removed the glow plugs to see if water wld drain out but alas it didnt. Stripped the head off and then was told to put it into 5th and push it forward and the engine would then turn over but two centre pistons go fully up and down but nearest and furthest go all the way up but not quite all the way down, if you know what I mean

With the head off, you should be able to turn the engine by hand (in neutral) - by the crank pulley. To get at the big ends on a 200TDi engine you will have to remove the engine - the ladder frame between the sump and block prevent access and it is bolted through from behind the flywheel. If only a couple pf conrods are bent, and there's no other damage, then it's a reasonably cheap repair - 2-conrods and a set of bearing shells, head gasket, and maybe one or two other items. If the rods are bent, then the two pistons won't fully extent at the top of their stroke, and even a slight bend will be noticeable (all 4 pistons will protrude roughly the same as each other, so it will be visually different). Strange for them to jam right at the bottom of the stroke though. You may have done something more serious, so it's worth taking a look at least.

Les.

Well the engine was only on tick over when the water came in then it stalled. I did think it was wierd why they dont quite reach the bottom but do reach the top especially if a bend had occured. Silly question but it wldnt be because there is excess water now retained in the block due to flooding?

Damn - forget all that wrong info I just gave you (I was thinking 200TDi)

Sump off and you can get at the big ends without removing the engine from the vehicle. Turn the crank pulley by hand while you look from underneath to see what's happening.

Les.

If your sump is full of water, then you should drain it as soon as possible. Things will rust - even though there's oil present.

200TDi conversion is very popular, and the engine pretty-much goes straight onto your gearbox (clutches are the same, etc)

Most other things are a straight bolt on, but some pipework fabrication is needed. If you have a huge wallet, then kits for the pipes, etc can be bought. If you are going to do it all yourself, then it's a bit more involved.

This thread is the first one I ever did -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

Les.

If your sump is full of water, then you should drain it as soon as possible. Things will rust - even though there's oil present.

200TDi conversion is very popular, and the engine pretty-much goes straight onto your gearbox (clutches are the same, etc)

Most other things are a straight bolt on, but some pipework fabrication is needed. If you have a huge wallet, then kits for the pipes, etc can be bought. If you are going to do it all yourself, then it's a bit more involved.

This thread is the first one I ever did -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

Les.

Wow, thank you very much Les. Seems alot of work but worth it. Ive spent loads on mine so far and must have replaced nearly everything on the damn thing