Serious electrical problem!!

HI,

I think i have come to the right spot, any way I have a major electrical problem.

I have a 200tdi land rover defender

Firstly the answer to this could be "how long is a piece of string??"

Problem

The fuse for the dashboard lights/indicator/stop tail keeps blowing, it is rated at 10amps. thus if blown no indicator or stop lights work which equals a big problem.

There is no continuity to when it goes, i have tried with the indicator on etc nothing happens, all lights on etc and nothing happens, then if you drive for 10 metres with no lights on then it can blow. Then replace straight away and blows again, then replace again and is fine.

I did have a problem with the fuel gauge where the light bulb blew and melted the gauge but I have replaced the gauge and corresponding bulb and it still hasnt fixed the fuse problem but gauge is fine.

I have had the fuse box apart and nothing was seen. I have had the dashboard off and where do you start? Of what i could see nothing looked exposed etc.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems with their land rover or could help point me in the right direction!!

Many Thanks Vinylman23

Is a trailer elect socket fitted ? if yes check all the connection inside & to it

examine the loom that comes out of the right inner chassis face & goes up into the right rear corner behind the lights.

also chaeck the fusebox connections can't touch the bulkhead & short out

As western says, towbar electrics are the most likely culprit.

Your problem reminds me of a problem I had last year that turned out to be caused by a faulty rear light holder. Occasionally the fuse would blow while driving even when I didn't have any lights switched on but, of course, I'd been using my brakes. occasionally the bulb in one of the light units would move and short it out, if you happened to hit the brakes at the same time it would blow the fuse.

I replaced both tail/brake light holders in the end as both weer a loose fit, not had the problem since.

As Western knows, we have been experiencing similarly annoying problems on our 110, with the indicator/rear washer fuse blowing continuously (when indicators activated) since we had a repair to the rear loom done as an apparent remedy for severe malfunctioning of lights, indicators, dashboard etc. It was only when the car came back from the garage that the problems with the fuses began. Maybe you have a problem with the rear loom/towbar electrics? We thought we had cured the fuse problem by fiddling around with the fuseboard, but it came back again. However the trailer socket electrics had been disconnected and coiled up behind the X member, following loom repair, as we were due for a new X member. Now the latter has been done and trailer socket renewed and reconnected I will see if we still have the fuse problem (only got the car back tonight) and report back...if that's of any help at all?!...

As western says, towbar electrics are the most likely culprit.

Your problem reminds me of a problem I had last year that turned out to be caused by a faulty rear light holder. Occasionally the fuse would blow while driving even when I didn't have any lights switched on but, of course, I'd been using my brakes. occasionally the bulb in one of the light units would move and short it out, if you happened to hit the brakes at the same time it would blow the fuse.

I replaced both tail/brake light holders in the end as both weer a loose fit, not had the problem since.

Things connected to this fuse include the spare connector behind the cigarette lighter panel, the hazard light switch (can fail in all sorts of funny ways) and the brake lights. The instrument lights are fed off the sidelight line, which is a bit confusing as that isn't fused. I too am thinking you have one or more shorts somewhere :(

Be logical, unplug as much as you can, check for worn insulation, melty bits, water in lamps, burn marks, then plug things in one at a time until something makes sense. The workshop manual, book 5, section 86 has the wiring diagrams in it, which might help too.

Is a trailer elect socket fitted ? if yes check all the connection inside & to it

examine the loom that comes out of the right inner chassis face & goes up into the right rear corner behind the lights.

also chaeck the fusebox connections can't touch the bulkhead & short out

hi i havent got the trailer plug on yet and when i press the brakes my side lights come on is this my problem???? sorry fr posting here

hi i havent got the trailer plug on yet and when i press the brakes my side lights come on is this my problem???? sorry fr posting here

you havent fitted a single element bulb instead of a twin , see it every week in garage, other than that as previously stated see alot of towing electric problems usually either at the plug or in the scotch locks they use to fit it !!!! also wires rubbing against the chassis is another common one.

you havent fitted a single element bulb instead of a twin , see it every week in garage, other than that as previously stated see alot of towing electric problems usually either at the plug or in the scotch locks they use to fit it !!!! also wires rubbing against the chassis is another common one.

when i press the brakes one bulb lights up just slightly other one fine

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

I posted a previous reply and said I would report back re. our fuse problem which sounds like it was similar to yours. Hopefully you have got it fixed by now but I am very pleased to say that since we had our new X member put on and NEW trailer socket fitted, we haven't had any further problem with shorting/fuses blowing.

One other thing that might be of help - someone else mentioned this too I think - check for loose fitting lamp covers, as ours had water in them after the car came back from the garage who I think had checked the rear lights and not screwed covers back on properly.

And if Western is reading this, then thank you for all your help, we have our car back after a month of being on foot, and everything seems to be working. I might even get a photo done!

Bye.

HI,

I think i have come to the right spot, any way I have a major electrical problem.

I have a 200tdi land rover defender

Firstly the answer to this could be "how long is a piece of string??"

Problem

The fuse for the dashboard lights/indicator/stop tail keeps blowing, it is rated at 10amps. thus if blown no indicator or stop lights work which equals a big problem.

There is no continuity to when it goes, i have tried with the indicator on etc nothing happens, all lights on etc and nothing happens, then if you drive for 10 metres with no lights on then it can blow. Then replace straight away and blows again, then replace again and is fine.

I did have a problem with the fuel gauge where the light bulb blew and melted the gauge but I have replaced the gauge and corresponding bulb and it still hasnt fixed the fuse problem but gauge is fine.

I have had the fuse box apart and nothing was seen. I have had the dashboard off and where do you start? Of what i could see nothing looked exposed etc.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems with their land rover or could help point me in the right direction!!

Many Thanks Vinylman23

And if Western is reading this, then thank you for all your help, we have our car back after a month of being on foot, and everything seems to be working. I might even get a photo done!

That is great news, glad all is fixed & look forward to seeing the beast in question :D