Brakes on a 127

Ok so the brakes on my 127 are quite poor. How do I test if its the PDWA valve or the servo? The front brakes lock up if I stand on the pedal but nothing from the rear. Or is this just shockingly bad drum brakes? New shoes have been fitted tho.

Do you mean PDWA or bias valve? PDWA is just a warning device designed to make brake bleeding a pain in the yaris (at least it was on Series). If it's drums on the back you may struggle to make them lock up with all that weight, try getting Katy to drive instead :ph34r:

Assuming that the rear brakes are not twin leading shoe, try testing again in reverse. The front will lock easily in reverse but will offer little braking effort compared to going forward whereas the rear brakes should pull you up fairly quickly. Alternatively, find a friendly MOT man, bribe him with Jaffa cakes and have a go at the rollers.

Chris

I think the rears are adjusted correctly. I can get them to lock with wheels off the ground and engine off. I have now admitted defeat with time and willingness to muck about with PWDA and booked her in with Brooklyn 4x4. So fingers crossed it wont cost me a kidney!

All production vehicles have their brakes configured with front bias. This means that most vehicles will lock the front brakes before the rears under heavy braking, as its safer, and also because weight is transferred forward under braking.

If it was neutral or rear biased, you run the risk of locking up the rear, and the ending up backwards in a hedge.

All production vehicles have their brakes configured with front bias. This means that most vehicles will lock the front brakes before the rears under heavy braking, as its safer, and also because weight is transferred forward under braking.

If it was neutral or rear biased, you run the risk of locking up the rear, and the ending up backwards in a hedge.

Yes I know this but I would actually like to stop quicker than the QE2.

Well if you can currently lock the wheels, then the brakes cant do any more to stop you?

There is stopping in a controlled and non seat gripping manner and wondering if your going to use the car in front as a stopping device. I want the brakes to work correctly at the moment they are a postal request to slow down and a two feet on the brake pedal to lock up.