London LEZ

Dalai Lama

I have a 300tdi 1994 110 Station Wagon

I have been arguing with the LEZ muppets for the past 3 years, that a station wagon is as such an estate car and not a van (like a Discovery)

They keep telling me it is a van despite me sending photos and a Land Rover brochure stating that my defender is a station wagon and not a van

I received a letter last year to say the Mayor was potentially suspending the 3rd phase of the LEZ subject to consultation.

I called the LEZ people up last week as their website still shows that my defender will be non compliant post Oct 2010. I ofcourse expressed my dissapointment in the Mayor leaving the decision so late and that if the consultation rules for the Oct 2010 deadline that it would be difficult to sell vehicles in a short space of time.

2 Questions

Has anyone else managed to get their station Wagon to be compliant post 2012 ie in the same category as lets say a 300tdi Disco?

If the vehicles wont be compliant what is the cost to fit the equipment to reduce emission and will this in anyway be feasible?

Thanks

Ashley

I have a 300tdi 1994 110 Station Wagon

I have been arguing with the LEZ muppets for the past 3 years, that a station wagon is as such an estate car and not a van (like a Discovery)

They keep telling me it is a van despite me sending photos and a Land Rover brochure stating that my defender is a station wagon and not a van

I received a letter last year to say the Mayor was potentially suspending the 3rd phase of the LEZ subject to consultation.

I called the LEZ people up last week as their website still shows that my defender will be non compliant post Oct 2010. I ofcourse expressed my dissapointment in the Mayor leaving the decision so late and that if the consultation rules for the Oct 2010 deadline that it would be difficult to sell vehicles in a short space of time.

2 Questions

Has anyone else managed to get their station Wagon to be compliant post 2012 ie in the same category as lets say a 300tdi Disco?

If the vehicles wont be compliant what is the cost to fit the equipment to reduce emission and will this in anyway be feasible?

Thanks

Ashley

What is the cost of fitting a 3.9 V8 ?

No LEZ problems for that :-)

And possibly a lpg kit.

Mine's a 1994 110 SW 300Tdi,

Date Status

24 Mar 2010 to onwards Not Subject to LEZ

What does not subject to the Low Emission Zone mean?

According to our records this vehicle is not subject to the Low Emission Zone and is not required to meet the Low Emission Zone standards this time.

Mine's also listed as a 5 Door hatchback :blink:

Body type says Light 4X4 Utility

If your vehicle is a CSW, then you need to write to DVLA stating that the body type classification is incorrect. It should be estate for CSWs. Once returned corrected, register the vehicle with TFL sending copies of the amended V5 with the application.

Reb, others have seen the compliance check automatically go to compiant when the DVLA changed the V5 to Estate. Mine was changed as few weeks ago as you know but now the check says "we don;t know about this vehicle". Well they did a few weeks ago so i;m wondering if they've changed the way they look at landrovers and are forcing us to register manually. I'm giving it a few more weeks to see what happens and i'll report back.

Mine didnt change when i changed the V5 hence i registered with TFL. It is now LEZ exempt. TFL do not apparently regulary update the information they have from the DVLA - they probably dont bother doing this very often at all as i dont suppose they really care if they have misclassified people leaving it up to the owner of the vehicle in question to register. I phoned them a few weeks back as i wanted written confirmation of the change evident on their website - i got some rubbish that their system to issue these letters has been down since last November - it really is terribly dissorganised. If i were you Neill, i think i would just register it now.

All of this is only really correct if you have a genuine CSW. If it is not a CSW, then i dont think this method will work. I cant remember the letter in the vin - i think it was 7th digit has to be 'M' and that indicates it is a factory CSW (is that correct Neill? I think i posted it on the thread you were involved in when re-classifying yours)

If your vehicle is a CSW, then you need to write to DVLA stating that the body type classification is incorrect. It should be estate for CSWs. Once returned corrected, register the vehicle with TFL sending copies of the amended V5 with the application.

Thanks

I did speak with the DVLA about a year and a half ago and stated that my Station Wagon was an estate. They fed me full of it and said that Land Rover didnt establish the defender with them as having an estate configuration.

Needlesss to say they wouldn't change my V5

Judging by what you guys are saying I can now get it changed so I'll give it a go

Many Thanks

Ashley

Speaking to the DVLA seems to be part of the problem! Phone ten times, speak to ten people, ask the same question and you will probably get ten different answers! Writed to them stating it should be estate and that light 4x4 utility is wrong. Include your corrected V5 and see what you get back.

HTH

I have a 90 CSW. However it was wrongly registered by Land Rover from new as a 'light utility' rather than 'estate' body configuration (it has the correct station wagon chassis number because that is what it was constructed as). About a year ago I used the 'compliance checker' in the Low Emissions Zone area of the Transport for London website and this said it would be non compliant from October 2010 (since suspended pending consultation). TfL said I'd have to take this up with DVLA who said they needed a letter from Land Rover before they'd change it. Land Rover were very quick at sending back the relevant confirmation but I didn't get round to taking it up again with DVLA until Christmas since when I've had the corrected V5 back (after some delays).

Since then the LEZ compliance checker has continued to show the vehicle as non compliant from October '10 so this thread prompted me to phone them yesterday. Miraculously, while I spoke to them on the phone the compliance checker changed to showing the vehicle as not covered by the LEZ and I conclude that the data it runs from is only updated to add new vehicles and not to update existing data unless something happens to prompt that (like my phone call).

The explanations on the TFL website aren't very helpful. But for 110 Station Wagons I did wonder if the rules apply on the basis that they are regarded as mini-buses - it says:

"The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) affects older, diesel-engined lorries, buses, coaches, large vans (exceeding 1.205 tonnes unladen weight) and minibuses (over eight seats plus the driver's seat and below 5 tonnes)."

The explanations on the TFL website aren't very helpful. But for 110 Station Wagons I did wonder if the rules apply on the basis that they are regarded as mini-buses - it says:

"The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) affects older, diesel-engined lorries, buses, coaches, large vans (exceeding 1.205 tonnes unladen weight) and minibuses (over eight seats plus the driver's seat and below 5 tonnes)."

Thats why its probably best not to update seat number on the V5 if it is currently blank, or remove the rear bench seats if it is stated. I rarely carry 12 (probably 3 times in 15 years), so that would be my solution if seat number affected this. If it were a minibus, i presume it wouldnt be registered as an estate?

Just checked mine out of interest, )and something to moan about in the pub later) even if I never have any intention of driving into London :ph34r:

TD5 Discovery Commercial, classed as LGV, is exempt :)

Anyone need to borrow it for a day :P

Thanks

Did you contact Land Rover to confirm this ie did they send you a letter? If so can you pm me a copy as I tried speaking with them on Friday and they were not fully clear what was the issue.

If you do have a letter could you PM me

Thanks

Ashley

• 1 month later...

Just received a letter back from the DVLA

They have suggested that I contact the manufacturer and ask them for a letter stating that the DVLA records should be changed

Does anyone know who I could contact at Land Rover who is upto speed with the situation

Many Thanks for any help

Ashley

All of this is only really correct if you have a genuine CSW. If it is not a CSW, then i dont think this method will work. I cant remember the letter in the vin - i think it was 7th digit has to be 'M' and that indicates it is a factory CSW (is that correct Neill? I think i posted it on the thread you were involved in when re-classifying yours)

The'M' in the VIN denotes a Defender 5door Station Wagon there is NO letter code for a County Station Wagon, your V5 reg document should have Estate as the body type :D if not send your V5 in suitable amended for updating.

Like i said before, IF it is a CSW i would send the amended V5 with a letter stating that it should read estate under body type. If you ask the DVLA anything they wont know the answer and will send you on a wild goosechase trying to find out!