London LEZ

Dalai Lama

The guy I have spoken to at Land Rover is called Pete Hare tel 01026 691 790 or main switchboard is 08705 000500

Interestingly I sent the following letter to TFL and they have just written back to me after 2 and a half months to state that my vehicle is not subject to the LEZ

My original letter attached as pdf . I'll attach their response tomorrow

Low Emission Zone

PO BOX 4544

Coventry

CV6 9DW

Dear Joanne Marsh

Re: Land Rover Defender Station Wagon L??? K?? Your Ref:

I understand that your compliance check has stated that my Land Rover Defender (Station Wagon) is classed as a light utility 4x4, and its body type as a van.

The V5 document confirms that the vehicle is a light utility 4x4, however the vehicle body type is that of a SW (Station Wagon), not a van. This is stated under model type on the attached V5 document.

I have contacted the DVLA and they have confirmed the vehicle is described as Body Code 54, and defined as-

a version of a car specifically designed with four-wheel drive system for on/off-road driving, having an increased ground clearance compared with a standard passenger car.

A photo of the my vehicle is provided below to illustrate more clearly the model and body type for this Land Rover Defender

Below illustrates the general body types associated with Land Rover Defenders

(I added a ph0to from a land rover brochure showing body type configuration)

The illustration (marked with an asterisk above) shows, a station wagon as a family car. Please note that the model above the station wagon is a Defender Hard Top, which is in fact the body type of Defender, which is the van.

Whilst I understand that there are a number of Land Rover Defenders designed as commercial vehicle to carry goods (Vans), this particular model was manufactured by Land Rover as a family station wagon car and is registered with the DVLA as a Private Light Goods Vehicle.

I understand that the LEZ will not affect cars and therefore I am requesting that that you review your decision and my vehicle be removed from your data base as one which will be affected in 2010

Whilst I appreciate that the Major of London is reviewing the third phase of the LEZ and that my vehicle may not be subject to the LEZ I would like the details on your data base updated so that my vehicle is described correctly as a station wagon( car) and not a van

Yours Sincerely,

Ashley Scott

LEZ March 2010.pdf

Thanks for that Dalai Lama, I need to get round to getting the Camel 110 done as I plan to keep it for some time.

I imagine a raised eyebrow as I try to tell them a fully kitted out Camel is family transport. :lol:

But at the end of the day it's also a station wagon.

What annoys me the most is that I do not live in London. I live on the edge of Essex. Beyond my house is nothing but country park and farm land. While I do not claim to live in a 'proper' rural area, our river floods our roads and snow and ice prevent ordinary cars from driving up hills nonetheless.

I live about 20 mins drive from Romford where I work. Romford is not London; It is a good 7.5K outside the North Circular yet it is inside the LEZ.

I live just inside the M25 but just outside the LEZ. To get to my family who live near Southend, I will have to drive a further 10K each way to avoid the LEZ.

My wife, myself and our greyhound go camping regularly. Our Landy is perfect for packing up the tent, the dog and heading off to wherever we want.

I do not use it as a commercial vehicle. Granted, I use it as my everyday car which means I use it for work, but it is not a van, it is a car.

I shall argue that my Landy is "designed and built for mainly off road use" as per the LEZ compliance flowchart:

Flowchart

However, I am certain that this argument would not sway the pious idiots who think that the LEZ is a good idea.

I very much suspect that the LEZ will encompass my Landy from October 2010.

Oh and by the way, The Highways Agency count my Landy as a commercial vehicle for the Dartford Toll purposes because 'it does not have windows in the back' meaning I have to pay £2.00 to cross the Dartford Bridge/Tunnel :angry2:

I do not use it as a commercial vehicle. Granted, I use it as my everyday car which means I use it for work, but it is not a van, it is a car.

You may use it as a car, but if it was built as a van then it's a van in the eyes of those that matter in these things.

So you fall in the same catagory I used to when I had a Ford Transit panel van as my everyday run about because I liked the driving position. That was definately a van and I used it as a car.

I very much suspect that the LEZ will encompass my Landy from October 2010.

But looking on the bright side it will be suspended until about January 2012 according to current predictions.

But looking on the bright side it will be suspended until about January 2012 according to current predictions.

I don't hold much faith :rolleyes:

I know where you are coming from with regards to what it was built to be but I disagree that it was built to be a van. The difference between a Land Rover and a van such as a Transit, Vito or Boxer is massive. It is a utility vehicle, no doubt about it, but I disagree wholeheartedly that a Defender 90 (or even a 110 with seats in the back) can be considered a van.

still, as you say, thems the rules ;)

If it was built as a station wagon, and the VIN and V5 show this (having the correct letter in the VIN and having 'Estate' on the V5) then I would call it a normal car.

Anything else, it could be argued that it's not a passenger car. My 90 is on the V5 as a 'Light 4x4 Utility', so that makes it not a car in my view.

Response from LEZ below and Letter ATTACHED Once Land Rover have issued me the letter stating the correct body type I'll post that too

Dear Mr Scott

London Low Emission Zone Registration

Thank you for registering vehicle L6 X with Transport for London. As part of your vehicle registration we have added this vehicle to your Account 10 53.

The current details that we hold on your vehicle and your vehicle's compliance status are as follows:

From

To

Emissions Classification

Compliance Status

22/05/2010

03/10/2010

Euro1

Not Subject to LEZ

04/10/2010

02/01/2012

Eur01

Not Subject to LEZ

03/01/2012

31/12/2018

Euro1

Not Subject to LEZ

Explanation of Compliance Status

Please find below further information on various compliance statuses:

Not Subject to LEZ:

Based on the information held by Transport for London (TtL), the London Low Emission Zone does not apply to this vehicle. As long as the vehicle remains Not Subject to LEZ the daily charge does not have to be paid for this vehicle when it is used in the Zone.

Compliant:

Based on the information held by Transport for London, the vehicle is classified as meeting the emission standards for the London Low Emission Zone. As long as it remains compliant, the daily charge does not have to be paid for this vehicle when it is used in the Zone. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your vehicle remains compliant.

Non-Compliant: Based on the information held by Transport for London, the vehicle either does not meet the required emissions standards, or there is not enough information to determine its emission standards. While the vehicle is non-compliant, if you travel in the London Low Emission Zone the charge must be paid unless you take further action (for example, you upgrade your vehicle andlor provide proof that your vehicle does meet the emissions standards by registering with Transport for London). If you register your vehicle, you must continue to pay the charge when you travel in the London Low Emission Zone until you have received confirmation from us that the vehicle has been successfully registered; otherwise a Penalty Charge Notice may be issued.

Exempt:

Based on the information you have entered and information held by Transport for London (TfL) , the vehicle is classified as exempt. The daily charge does not have to be paid for this vehicle when it is used in the Zone.

100% Discount: The vehicle has been successfully registered for a 100% discount and the daily charge does not have to be paid for this vehicle when it is used in the London Low Emission Zone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

The vehicle compliance information shown above is based on the information held on the Low Emission Zone Compliance Register as at the date of this letter. If we subsequently receive any update from any source that changes the information given above, then your compliance status may change. If your status is showing as compliant, it is your responsibility to ensure that your vehicle remains compliant when travelling within the London Low Emission Zone.

If you have any questions please visit our website at www.tfl.gov.ukllezlondon or alternatively call our contact centre on 0845 607 0009, or if calling from outside of the UK on +44 207 310 8998.

Yours sincerely

Jahangir Hussain Customer Service Representative

CRM_BU_

Compliance letter from LEZ LR 4x4.pdf

More info from Land Rover

Dear Mr Scott

In reference to your Land Rover Defender (SAL???MF7MA946??2) I am

writing to clarify that your vehicle is in fact a station wagon for

carrying passengers and not a commercial goods vehicle.

I hope this helps to clarify your initial enquiry.

Many thanks

--

Pete Hayre

Customer Relations Executive

ghayre1ATjaguarlandroverDOTcom

Tel - 01926 691790

Fax - 01926 691938

Just received a letter back from the DVLA

They have suggested that I contact the manufacturer and ask them for a letter stating that the DVLA records should be changed

Does anyone know who I could contact at Land Rover who is upto speed with the situation

Many Thanks for any help

Ashley

I too have been dealing with Peter from Land Rover and he sent me the exact same email that he sent you - I was wondering if this was this sufficient when you provided this to the DVLA to change your V5 classification. You have given me hope that if I persist I can get my Land Rover reclassified.

I too have been dealing with Peter from Land Rover and he sent me the exact same email that he sent you - I was wondering if this was this sufficient when you provided this to the DVLA to change your V5 classification. You have given me hope that if I persist I can get my Land Rover reclassified.

I sent the email off to the DVLA so I'll see what their response is

As stated earlier the TFL LEZ has subsequently written to me and have stated that my defender is now not subject to the LEZ.

It may be therefore beneficial to you to send a similar letter to the one I wrote and se

e what they come up with

If I get some response from the DVLA then I'll post it

Keep trying and good luck

Ashley

I sent the email off to the DVLA so I'll see what their response is

As stated earlier the TFL LEZ has subsequently written to me and have stated that my defender is now not subject to the LEZ.

It may be therefore beneficial to you to send a similar letter to the one I wrote and se

e what they come up with

If I get some response from the DVLA then I'll post it

Keep trying and good luck

Ashley

Thanks Ashley for that I'll give it a go now. We really don't want to get rid of our Landy - it's the heritage special edition and we commute between North London and Wales on a regular basis. Well done for succeeding you must feel justly triumphant!! We will persist like you. All the best, Julia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I need help from anyone who has managed to get DVLA to reclassify their station wagon from utility vehicle to estate car.

Since July I have been trying to persuade DVLA that my 1993 200tdi 110 County Station is wrongly classed as a Light Utility Vehicle and should be described as an estate. To prove the point I have sent them photos, a copy of the original build card and a letter from Land Rover confirming that it was constructed as a Station Wagon and as such a passenger vehicle and not a goods vehicle. Unfortunately all a waste of time as DVLA has point blank refused to reclassify my Land Rover. They have stated that they do not use the description ‘Station Wagon’ and as far as they are concerned it is correctly classed as a Light Utility Vehicle and unless Land Rover categorically state that it is an estate car then it should stay so.

I have serious issues with this as it will mean that in 13 months time my Station wagon will be subject to Low Emission Zone charges and most likely will have to be sold to someone with the good sense to live a long way from London. I know that some owners out there have been successful with applications to DVLA to class their Station Wagons as estate cars. What I am asking is, please can anyone who has done this e-mail me at with their details and the details of their Land Rover. I want the information to try to force DVLA to recognise that they have already done for other owners what they refused me and as such their decision is perverse and possibly unlawful. If DVLA still refuse then I’m going to get some legal advice on the issue. I can’t see how they can allow some applications and turn down others.

I do realise that all this is like banging my head against a brick wall but at least it will be nice when I can stop.[/font]