Pics of 285/75r16's on a Defender?

Thats excellent guys!

Stravaigin: Are all three motors there shod in 285's?

The BFG's on the NAS look a bit smaller.

It looks like they'll fit a stock 90 ok then.

I'm a bit torn between them and the 255/85 size, but i think the extra width would be useful, and will hopefully make the tyre a bit more stable on the road? The 285 also seems a little more available, whereas the 255 seems a bit more limited?

How do people find the lock when running them on 8J modulars? I know 265's on normal landrover alloys tends to limit the lock quite a bit, do the mods with their lower offset help?

I'm a bit torn between them and the 255/85 size, but i think the extra width would be useful, and will hopefully make the tyre a bit more stable on the road? The 285 also seems a little more available, whereas the 255 seems a bit more limited?

Here are 255/85/16 on the same Mach5s on the same car as above:

Foto-GGO6GTMB.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/zmk50j.jpg

My dad and I both prefer the 255/85/16, but it might be because it's BFGoodrich compared to Good Year.

If you plan to do much laning they won't be that useful. Extra width is a pain in ruts, resulting in you constantly rubbing or even straddling some ruts.

I have 285/75r16 bfg MT on 8" mods,on 110 v8 CSW, the turning circle does not seem to be affected as they are more offset. I had 1 ton rims on before . I have done a slight bit of trimming on the ends of the flares just to be extra sure as full deflection X axled is a bit too close for comfort I dont run any lift as such, but have custom made H/D springing . The tops of the tread also just about touches the underside of the wheel boxes, but that should scrape the mud off :unsure: .

I have 285/75r16 bfg MT on 8" mods,on 110 v8 CSW, the turning circle does not seem to be affected as they are more offset. I had 1 ton rims on before . I have done a slight bit of trimming on the ends of the flares just to be extra sure as full deflection X axled is a bit too close for comfort I dont run any lift as such, but have custom made H/D springing . The tops of the tread also just about touches the underside of the wheel boxes, but that should scrape the mud off :unsure: .

I was told that 235/85/16 are the largest tyre that I can use on a stock/unlifted Defender 90 with stock alloy wheels.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

Thats excellent guys!

Stravaigin: Are all three motors there shod in 285's?

The BFG's on the NAS look a bit smaller.

It looks like they'll fit a stock 90 ok then.

All 3 are on 285s, my Bonati Grey one is stock (R-yellow/white,F-blue/green I think & with anti roll bars) and rubs a wee bit on full articulation, you can pretty much see where on the photo and it sounds worse than it is.

Both the green 90s have a 2" (ish) OME lift. I run a disco transfer box on my green one too (TD5 has been tweeked a wee bit but not too much :D ).It drives really well on the a roads and tops out just above 80 on the autobahn but sometimes struggles to maintain 70 on hilly motorways.

At the time I couldnt get 255s anywhere, Mr Craddock told me "they dont make em that size" Eh, yes they do... "Oh do they?"

SteveG did an excellent thread on his suspension set up which is well worth a search if you havnt read it.

Dont know why they look smaller on the NAS, definately 285s.... see :D

USA082493.jpg

Hi,

Sorry of topic a little,

but that's BILL BURKE's NAS 90 i drove that NAS on one of the trails in Moab, was in Moab with Bill for a week back in 2001

Dam stravaigin did you ship your 90 out to the US for a event ?

Sorry again for off topic.

:D not for an event as such, just a long range camping trip :lol: I managed to get out again last year to do the Dusy Ershim

Pic below of BBs 90 with 285s so back on topic :lol: me cacking myself while BB looks on laughing! This was about 5 years ago on pre production KM2s that BB was trialing for BFG. The tread blocks have changed on production tyres (or tires!) in that they have been rotated slightly to give better lateral stability.

058_58_0002.jpg

If you plan to do much laning they won't be that useful. Extra width is a pain in ruts, resulting in you constantly rubbing or even straddling some ruts.

Hmm thats interesting. Perhaps the 255's are the better option then.

Long while off yet before a decision needs to be made, but thanks for the pics, plenty to contemplate.

Its also weird how different the different tyres look even though they're all the same size!

Cheers