Get me to the Garage in Donny. Transporter. Please

tweetyduck

Alternator is new and replaced this week.

Handbreak seems fine. When handbreak off the vehicle can be pushed with little effort.

Can't get into low range. This is one of the issues.

Diff lock light on works if i push over the lever to the left.

I can't seem to engage low or N either side

Only H in Lock or no lock seems to work.

Have you had a look at the transfer box oil level or changed the oil?

Anyone have a flat back or way they can get me to RCV (Doncaster Country Vehicles) in Kirk Sandal in Doncaster. Willing to pay beer tokens and it would possibly need to be week after Easter as i need to book it in and they are busy. My transmission is knackered and Fred Cam wants £75 !! for about 9 - 10 miles.

I might risk a drive but can only really manage 2nd gear. The Engine runs fine in neutral so my brakes work so a tow (although i've never done it for this distance) might work.

Eternal gratitude for offers or pointers to somewhere cheaper.

Wish i had read this earlier as i am off to Spain in the early morning or i would have come and had a look, anyway if you want somebody to have a look at this for you, ring This number 07976132329 name is Mike worked at RCV for years now self employed best spanner man RCV ever had, tell him Keith from Fenwick gave him your number.

Regards

Keith

Neil people are trying to help you help yourself

this carefully selected 110 isn't looking like the best of purchases TBH.

what have you done that could have ruined the gearbox?

I use mine heavily and maybe a little roughly but it is up to it

there is no magic inside just bits of metal put together by some people in Brum!

there is enough info on here with some guidance to help you.

maybe worth putting your threads under your members vehicles thread so you have a reference to look over.

I have not removed a L/R gearbox till the clutch went there's little to it really and all mine is done outside on a gravel drive.

Wish i had read this earlier as i am off to Spain in the early morning or i would have come and had a look, anyway if you want somebody to have a look at this for you, ring This number 07976132329 name is Mike worked at RCV for years now self employed best spanner man RCV ever had, tell him Keith from Fenwick gave him your number.

Regards

Keith

Thanks Keith thats just what i needed, someone to take a quick look. I'll give him a call. Once i know what it is i can at least attempt to fix it. I know what most stuff sounds like but this is way beyond my level of understanding and someone with years of experience will immediatly know whats wrong and enable me to 1) learn what it is for future "noises" and 2) decide on the best way to repair it.

@zoltan...not yet. Its on the list of things to check when it stops raining.

I can see this has potential to get in a pickle what with the same subject being covered in different threads.

was meant to answer the question in the initial post but seems to have run away abit into the other post. Can't blame em for being helpful can we.

No t trying to make you suck eggs neill Is there the right oils in either of the boxes?

no worries. I can only thanks you all for your help.

Should be, but not checked. The diffs were certainly full and correct when i looked the other day. I'm presuming all other lube was good but i never checked all the boxes and holes (most not all). Its only literally done 500 miles since it was serviced by the last owner. He did it himself but he's a landy guy and i trust he knows what he's doing. I'm going to check as soon as i can.

Cue the barrage of negative you've been ripped off, didn't check, blah blah. Which is completely unhelpful. I suppose everyone who gets a serviced car back from the "garage" checks all the levels rather than trust them. All i can say is all the things he said needed doing, did need doing and i'm doing them. This seems like a 200,000 miles failiure to me but thats based on nothing so far.

Thanks guys.

Cue the barrage of negative you've been ripped off, didn't check, blah blah.

Just one of those things. Could've happened with whatever you bought. Just gotta get advice to fix it now..........

no worries. I can only thanks you all for your help.

I'm presuming {mistake number 1 never presume anything with landrover allways check) all other lube was good but i never checked all the boxes and holes (most not all). Its only literally done 500 miles since it was serviced by the last owner. He did it himself but he's a landy guy and i trust he knows what he's doin (mistake number 2 just because he is a landy guy does not mean he knows what he is doing)

Cue the barrage of negative you've been ripped off, didn't check, blah blah. Which is completely unhelpful. I suppose everyone who gets a serviced car back from the "garage" checks all the levels rather than trust them. All i can say is all the things he said needed doing, did need doing and i'm doing them. This seems like a 200,000 miles failiure to me but thats based on nothing so far.

Thanks guys.

i do check my cars levels after its been in a garage yes

and i allways go over my new purchase with a fine tooth comb regardless of what the seller says its had done!!

and with the last paragraph there yes people saying you have got a pup is unhelpfull but then thats there opinion that they are entitled to ;)

rob

I suppose stripping the gear box and trans is normal practice after a service. :o

Must take you quite a while, every 6000 miles. Not heard of this before and LR haven't put it in there workshop manual. I'll write tham a letter to suggest to include it. :D

I suppose stripping the gear box and trans is normal practice after a service. :o

Must take you quite a while, every 6000 miles. Not heard of this before and LR haven't put it in there workshop manual. I'll write tham a letter to suggest to include it. :D

dont be so soft ;)

but yes i would have checked the gearbox and transfer box oil levels (well changed them actually) very soon after purchase (as you was told to do when you first got the car!!)

In the end, you can only ever check so much without dis-assembling the vehicle completely and applying MPI (magnetic particle inspection) and X-rays to every part.

The important things here are to remember the relevant lessons and get you (back) on the road.

Dump the oil out through a fine paint filter/bit of clean rag/kitchen towel etc and have a fish around in the debris for gear teeth, needle rollers, bits of bearing cage etc. Poke a small magnet on a stick in the casing and have a fish around. If you are lucky there will be a few filings and not a lot else.

Dump the oil out through a fine paint filter/bit of clean rag/kitchen towel etc and have a fish around in the debris for gear teeth, needle rollers, bits of bearing cage etc. Poke a small magnet on a stick in the casing and have a fish around. If you are lucky there will be a few filings and not a lot else.

now thats a good idea. I'll give that a go along with the inspections that others have suggested. Get the feeling I might find an entire cog on the end of my magnet. :o

Errol. thanks for the encouragement. Need a bit of that at the moment.

Thanks to all who've suggested all sorts of stuff. Its the weekend so i'll be on to it if it stops raining for more than 10 minutes.

looks like one problem is the bearing at the rear of the trans box next to where it connects to the handbrake drum.

not sure how this would affect me getting into difflock or low range so that might not be the only problem.

there were some flakes of cage in the bottom, Is this a new unit or self fix?

Pics attached.

Thanks to those that suggested i take off the plate and spin a wheel.

post-19188-126969100474_thumb.jpg

post-19188-126969114063_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Does this mean the entire gearbox and trans needs to come out?

edit

ah...now see the link.

Sorry, type away without checking all the diagrams!

After a moment's thought, I think there'll be something jamming the selectors, which could be bits of bearing. Changing the bearing / seal / brake shoes isn't a box out job, but flushing out all the bits might be, sorry. The other possibility is that another bearing (the rear one holding the high / low pinions and centre diff, circled in red below) has gone, which would give you the high / low symptom, but not the diff lock one.

post-8420-126969251639_thumb.jpg

Thanks Errol,

Diff lock works in H only. Can't select anything else. i.e. H normal and H difflock are fine.

All normal running gears seem to work in H with and without difflock.

I had that diagram on the screen earlier but its a bit confusing for a noob like me, thanks for pointing that out.

I've now got the centre tunnel off and floor plates so i'll take off the rear prop again tomorrow and start to get it apart. I'll order the parts next week. I'm intending on removing the top of the gearbox where the gear lever goes in, do you think thats worth while. Will i be able to see anything?

I'm intending on removing the top of the gearbox where the gear lever goes in, do you think thats worth while. Will i be able to see anything?

Errr, pass, you've gone off the end of my knowin'!

I'm sure that when this rather-good-for-crawling-under-cars day is over a gearbox adult will take you further - bon chance!

The main and transfer boxes are two separate assemblies. Taking the top off the main box won't help with your transfer box problem.

For my ten penneth, I would remove the transfer box and strip it down to examine the rest of the bearings, etc. Beware though that the cost of a full set of bearings could mount up quickly against the cost of a recon box. There may be greater peace of mind with a properly recon'd box. Alternatively, pick up a known good second hand box (not that expensive) to keep you mobile while deciding your next move.

Hi Neill

I would suggest stripping the back off the t/box in the vehicle - good practice should you need to in the boondocks , if it turns out all the bearings have failed then I would suggest an Ashcroft replacement , I think you maybe lucky as you have caught it early. was there much debris in the bottom of the 'box? or filings in the oil?

The inside of the casing does look a bit stained...

cheers

Steveb

@Mike, I will try H,L,N again now i have the cover off. Can't beleive i didn't as soon as it came off. Didn;t even think to try all the levers again. Will do.

@Steve, There were a couple of shavings in the bottom thats it. They were not what i'd call normal but not a great deal. I;d say two very thin one pence pieces (in area) in smallish fragments. They were paper thin...well thick paper but not card thick. I could post a photo of them if you'd like.

@Dave, i'm getting the same feeling. A new box feeling....I'd rather do this now than 2 months into the trip. However, i'm in fix it mode at the moment so fix it till deciding my next move seems like a good idea.

Thanks guys.

@Mike, I will try H,L,N again now i have the cover off. Can't beleive i didn't as soon as it came off. Didn;t even think to try all the levers again. Will do.

Still doesn't work. Nothing fouling

@Steve, There were a couple of shavings in the bottom thats it. They were not what i'd call normal but not a great deal. I;d say two very thin one pence pieces (in area) in smallish fragments. They were paper thin...well thick paper but not card thick. I could post a photo of them if you'd like.

@Dave, i'm getting the same feeling. A new box feeling....I'd rather do this now than 2 months into the trip. However, i'm in fix it mode at the moment so fix it till deciding my next move seems like a good idea.

I've sort of lost the plot here. If i presume its just the trans box then i might give it a go, if its the Gearbox and Trans, its off to the garage. Not sure what to do?

Thanks guys.