beam coverters for france (ASAP)

hobson

We've just got to dover docks and are waiting to load on, and i've forgotten to get some of the headlight beam converters, they've got them in the docks for over a tenner!

i know i can use some insulation tape (which i have) but i have no idea where to stick it or in what shape on the light

can anyone advise preferably with pictures?!

thanks so much

i'll get the tape out in france.

Mind you, illumination of the roadside will be much worse. Yes taping will prevent others being blinded, but at a price to you. Better safe than sorry...

Being French they can do what they damn well like if they want!

That said, never been stopped, but always have a set in the car just in case.

I have mine in the cubby, 4 trips abroad never fitted.

Mind you, illumination of the roadside will be much worse. Yes taping will prevent others being blinded, but at a price to you. Better safe than sorry...

Illumination of the roadside will be unaltered. All you are doing is blanking off the small triangular part of the beam which illuminates the hedge in the UK. On the continent all that bit does if shine in the the eyes of oncoming traffic. Remember that a (traditional) headlamp works as a parabolic mirror so the beam pattern as looked at on the front lens is backwards and upside down to what it will be throwing on the road. Hence taping off the bottom left piece to prevent the beam shining up to the left, straight into the eyes of Johnny Foreigner!

Well they worked, did the tape like the above picture, not made any noticeable difference to night illumination and not had anyone flashing me coming the other way so claerly they work!

much better than the ripoff stickers!

thanks again.

I use a roll of Sticky Aluminium Foil from the local DIY emporium. These are about 2" wide and can be cut with scissors to the shape you need. I find they are better than the ordinary black plastic stuff as they don't seem to peel off in the rain. I've been using this method for 10years or more and have been all over Europe, several times a year, and never had any problem (famous last words). I'm now on my second roll.

The only problem with anything you stick on the lights is the residue left behind. It don't wash off easy and you have to use White Spirit or Windolene to get it off!

£10 is a rip off! I always use beambenders in France and get them on fleabay for about £1.60 a go. They are better than black tape and allow some light through. I use motorcycle visor cleaner (small spray bottle) to get the residue off.

I go the France quite regularly. Be warned....French "plod" has recently upped his stop the Brit campaign as he has twigged there is lots of dosh to be made in the "on the spot fine" game. It appears his mian targets are:-

1 No hi-viz vest merchants

2 No beambender miscreants

3 Those who have bike racks and no lighting board.

Buying the whole lot of these items costs a lot less than one on the spot fine.