P38 Not even cranking over??

silversurfer

Have a 97 P38 (For how much longer though I don't know) :( love the car to bits but its driving me mad. Changed the fusebox and fully recharged the battery but the car refuses even to turn over. 'Check Engine Light' is not illuminating when the key is in position II. Seems as though it has immobilised itself. Any ideas???

Thanks.

The P38 were a nice vehicle when they were going but have such a formidable reputation for electronic problems and slipped liners in the 4.6 that they are difficult to get repaired by any reputable repairer I know this isn't helping you with the present problem however I have a suggestion that worked for a friend of someone I know.

He had a number of similar "Dead everything" dramas in the city of Fremantle Western Australia and on several occasions had it trucked home and the next day it was fine.

The last time he was speaking to the AA truck driver who suggested they stop just outside the city and try to start it....it fired up fine, the AA guy said he had seen several instances and it was suspected that the Police radio frequency of the radios the local "Beat cops" had was the culprit and was interfering with the immobilisers of the vehicles.

When he told me this he had vowed never to take the vehicle into Fremantle again.

Perhaps try moving the vehicle a couple of Klm/miles and see if there is a difference.

Good luck I hope this helps.

PS: There aren't too many on the roads in Western Australia now.

The engine ecu has lost its synch with the BECM,a quick relearn on Testbook or similar will be needed before it will go again.

Billie,keep yer elbows in next week as I'll be in Perth,hoping to do a spot of off roading in my brothers Holden powered IIA.(We dont do coil springs....)

The engine ecu has lost its synch with the BECM,a quick relearn on Testbook or similar will be needed before it will go again.

Billie,keep yer elbows in next week as I'll be in Perth,hoping to do a spot of off roading in my brothers Holden powered IIA.(We dont do coil springs....)

Over the years Holden conversion has been a pretty popular conversion, usually a 6 cyl but some have used the V8 especially the light weight 253, but the 6 is/was by far the most popular.

Personally I don't do much off road anymore....guess I've matured a bit in my later life:-)

Have a good stay.

My brothers is the 202 red motor,not very powerful - but smooth and plenty of low down grunt.I'm not much into off roading but its nice to get out in the bush and visit some of the old logging camps and minesites.Last year when I was out there we spent alot of time looking around scrapyards and machinery dumps out in the bush,very interesting..... (When people ask what I did on my holiday I get some very strange looks/comments.)

I had the same with my p38 4.6, I got nothing when I turned the key, no fuel pump, no brake pump, and no starter on the next turn.

I ended up stripping the fuse box down to check for any damage, when I rebuilt it - it all magically worked fine - no idea what the problem was though