TD5 Interior Lights

Evening All, am after some advice.

The interior light on my TD5 90 doesn't work when i open the doors. The Light works, it comes on when switched on manually. The door switches work and are clean, alarm goes off and when plugged into computer the ground when released.

I've looked at the wiring diagram and it apears the light is controlled by the 10as box, my electriciky skills aren't too bad but playing with the likes of the 10as scares me!!

Had a brainwave earlier, was wondering about running another earth from the light straight to the door switch. Would this work or would it interfear with the alarm having something else grounded on the same switch??

Any ideas on how to check 10as box, any other known places for wiring to fail in the circuit, and finally, any thoughts on my idea of running another wire greatly appreciated.

TIA

Simon

Sorry for asking a really stupid question but is the switch in the correct position. Think its up towards the suroof for them to work with the door. Its raining in Sheff at the moment so don't fancy going out to look, as the rain has stopped me replaing the wheel bearings.

Hi,

I had a similar problem to this with my "old" 300TDi CSW. I checked the light with a multimeter and everything checked out, cleaned the switches etc but the light only worked on "manual". Tunred out to be a corroded connection onthe wire between the switch and the light. The connection was showing a voltage but the corrosin wasn't allowing current to flow. Cleaned the connection and all was well.

Try checking the 10pin connector (No. 0488 - colour light grey) above the drivers front headlining. It may be corroded as the inside of the roof is notorious for condensation.

Hope this helps

Scrumps

Hi,

I had a similar problem to this with my "old" 300TDi CSW. I checked the light with a multimeter and everything checked out, cleaned the switches etc but the light only worked on "manual". Tunred out to be a corroded connection onthe wire between the switch and the light. The connection was showing a voltage but the corrosin wasn't allowing current to flow. Cleaned the connection and all was well.

Try checking the 10pin connector (No. 0488 - colour light grey) above the drivers front headlining. It may be corroded as the inside of the roof is notorious for condensation.

Hope this helps

Scrumps

IMHO 300Tdi and TD5 are totally different systems? TD5 is controlled by Alarm ECU and is programmable via cars ECU. Try programming that interior light to the alarm system first before doing anything else. That´s just what is does if the interior light is not programmed to work with the alarm. If I recall it´s called SMART option in interior light programming menu.

Thanks for replies gents

I asked my local garage if it could be switched off by the ECU and they didn't seem to think it could. Now i have an idea of what setting it should be ill take it back and get them to plug it in.

Will also give the door switches another clean incase it is a current problem.

Cheers

Simon

You should be able to tell if the door pin switches are OK by trying to set the alarm with the keyfob while the door is open, you should get a peep from the alarm as a "mislock" sound if they are working, provided the alarm mislock sound is programmed of course.

Might be a good time to invest in a NanoCom or similar, or at least try to find someone local who has one that they would be willing to share.

IMHO 300Tdi and TD5 are totally different systems? TD5 is controlled by Alarm ECU and is programmable via cars ECU. Try programming that interior light to the alarm system first before doing anything else. That´s just what is does if the interior light is not programmed to work with the alarm. If I recall it´s called SMART option in interior light programming menu.

"IMHO 300Tdi and TD5 are totally different systems?"

They are...but the theory of electrickery doesn't alter!!!

Scrumps

"IMHO 300Tdi and TD5 are totally different systems?"

They are...but the theory of electrickery doesn't alter!!!

Scrumps

smile.gif No, mister Cider Drinker, You got that right! But I had exactly the similar problem with my 110 TD5 CSW and it was after programming the new ECU for the car. Got that sorted out with Nanocom. Now that´s why I´m so strongly recommending checking that programming out first before any electrickery jobby rolleyes.gif.

But now it´s time for some friday BEER, so Cheers! wink.gif