EGR....

My new disco is fitted with the Exhaust gas recycling (EGR) system.

i know nothing about it, what it realy does or why is it there? :huh:

it seams a lot of people bin it.... why...? :huh:

i'm not realy interested in any performance gains but if removing it might improve fuel economy i'm all ears.... ;)

so, tell me all about it, and if it should meet mr dust bin, has anyone got an idiots guide to doing it...

i've seen blanking plates on the 'bay, but it must be just as easy to screw a blanking plug into the existing plate.... :huh:

i looked in the tech archieve and there isn't a thread, so maybe if this turns out ok it could go in there...

thanks in advance

m@tt. :):)

either remove it or fit a blanking plate between the valve (which is probably siezed anyway)

you can get a replacment top inter cooler/inlet manifold hose for £20ish

I removed every piece and binned it

saves the engine breathing exhaust gases

In short...when idling your exhaust is still full of air. A proportion of this air is recirculated into the intake to doubly burn the nasty stuff in it. Emissions control stuff.....

It wont decrease your mpg, but it does tend to clog up ur intake manifold over a period of time. Ive just pulled the vacuum hoses/electrical connectors off mine. Stops it working just nicely (and its cheap) :)

Guest diesel_jim

My removal cost me £2.

i stuck a £2 coin in where the flexy pipe bolts onto the manifold.

So whenever my 110 breaks down, whatever pile of cr@p it becomes, it'll still be worth at least £2!!! B)

EGr only works at light throttle openings, once you plant your boot into the Axeminster the valve should shut the valve and the engine burns clean air. Once you back off the throttle it starts to burn exhaust gasses again.

If removed it will improve your fuel consumption and performance, maybe not by alot but, but it will be better.

Guest MJG
My new disco is fitted with the Exhaust gas recycling (EGR) system.

i know nothing about it, what it realy does or why is it there? :huh:

it seams a lot of people bin it.... why...? :huh:

i'm not realy interested in any performance gains but if removing it might improve fuel economy i'm all ears.... ;)

so, tell me all about it, and if it should meet mr dust bin, has anyone got an idiots guide to doing it...

i've seen blanking plates on the 'bay, but it must be just as easy to screw a blanking plug into the existing plate.... :huh:

i looked in the tech archieve and there isn't a thread, so maybe if this turns out ok it could go in there...

thanks in advance

m@tt. :):)

EGR on my Series 1 Disco was responsible for a definite (but occasional) hesitency when pressing the throttle just after over run.... this was accompanied by profuse grey/black smoke (unburnt recirculated exhaust gasses) spewing out the exhaust.

I tried disabling it simply by disconnecting the electrics and it stopped the hesitency but I noted not a jot in terms of reduced fuel consumption or improved performance.

Other methods of taking it out of the equation may have worked better but mine did not.....