Sprucing up eyebrows

Hi All,

With summer approaching I decided to spruce up my truck a little, so I have taken off my wheel spats for a quick coat of satin black. After waiting until her indoors was out :ph34r: I popped them in the shower for a wash and gave them a scrub with a green plastic scourer, let them dry overnight and sprayed them, my problem is they dry like they have been bleached by the sun, all white and patchy, 4 coats later they are just getting worse, any ideas?

I am using simonez acrylic satin black, im not new to spraying bits and bobs so i think i have done all i should, i didnt want to use undercoat as i dont want to loose the texture that is in the plastic.

Cheers Paul

Hi All,

With summer approaching I decided to spruce up my truck a little, so I have taken off my wheel spats for a quick coat of satin black. After waiting until her indoors was out :ph34r: I popped them in the shower for a wash and gave them a scrub with a green plastic scourer, let them dry overnight and sprayed them, my problem is they dry like they have been bleached by the sun, all white and patchy, 4 coats later they are just getting worse, any ideas?

I am using simonez acrylic satin black, im not new to spraying bits and bobs so i think i have done all i should, i didnt want to use undercoat as i dont want to loose the texture that is in the plastic.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

Is this the first time you have sprayed them ? There is probably a build up of silicone (back to black) etc; that will not be removed by scrubbing with soap & water. You may have to put on a barrier coat of an undercoat containing a plasticiser of some kind. Also clean them with panel wipe. Unfortunately you may well loose the textured finish.

related, but still sorry to highjack... what can I use to strip the paint off my arches?

Hi,

I have found some paintstripper that doesn't seem to affect plastic, it is from Wickes and is called "Great Strip" Made by "De-Solv-it", I have used it in the past on Airsoft rifles, which I think are an ABS plastic and also last night I used it on my wing top vents with no ill side affects, obviously with anything try a little piece that you can't see, the instructions don't say you can use it on plastic but i have with great sucsess.

Cheers Paul