300 TDi Fuel Lift Pump - Really OEM ?

I have just bought a spare lift pump for my 300TDi engine.

I had the option of genuine, OEM or piece part, in reducing order of price. I paid for the OEM item and received a pump in a Britpart box.

The pump has no markings on it of any kind but does not look like the best quality I could imagine. However I have nothing to compare it with, short of taking the current one off the engine.

Like many on here I have had a bad experience with Britpart bits. Does anyone know for sure if Britpart were, or were not, the OEM for 300 TDi lift pumps, or whether there should be any distinguishing marks, before I take it up with the supplier ?

Incidentally, does anyone know any suppliers who never supply Britpart bits, except of course Land Rover ?

Apologies if this has been covered before.

All help gratefully received

Regards

Richard

What an excellent question Richard. <_<

I have had the exact same experience and ended up returning parts only to bu**er up the days plans !

If it's proven to be non OEM it's so gut wrenchingly annoying especially as you specified up front what you want!

I'm looking forward to the replies that you get on this one especially if there is a supplier that you never have to remember to ask "it's not a B***part one is it?" :angry::)

Wasn't from Island4x4 was it? I had the same issues with a set of springs from them (advertised as OEM, turned out britpart :angry: ) and they had the cheek to suggest I would have to pay the return postage! Took them ages and several phone calls before they refunded my money <_<

A supplier that never supplies Britpart............ Bearmach. The only decision I ever have to make is whether I want genuine or not. Even the staff at Bearmach refer to Britpart as S##tpart!!

Ring them up, ask for what you want and it'll be in the post ASAP. I deal with the Maidstone branch as I can just pop in there, but I have no hesitation in recommending them.

As for Britpart being OEM.................Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! There wouldn't be 75% (or whatever the figure is) of Landrovers ever produced still on the road if they were!!

Not island 4x4. I will take it up with the supplier and see what they say, as they have been helpful and quick in the past.

Interesting on the Bearmach tip, as I did not realise they sold direct. I bought a wheel carrier off them at Billing - very impressed with the build quality.

Regards

Richard

A supplier that never supplies Britpart............ Bearmach.

As for Britpart being OEM.................Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! There wouldn't be 75% (or whatever the figure is) of Landrovers ever produced still on the road if they were!!

WELL written mate, deserves to be posted twice. :D

Todd

The Britpart number is ERR5057G. The supplier, Brit-Car, who I have always found to be very helpful, tells me that the G signifies OEM, and now that I look at the label on the Britpart box more closely it also says OEM.

I am slightly re-assured especially as it is only a get me home spare.

Any thoughts ?

Regards

Richard

I bought a PAS pump from Brit-Car this week, paid for OEM and a Britpart one turned up.

I called them and the chap there assured me that it was in fact an OEM part, just supplied by Britpart. I've had things like that before, but there are no markings on the box and it doesn't say OEM anywhere on the label as per usual with OEM-but-distributed-by-Britpart items.

All I can do is trust what the guy says and hope I haven't been ripped off for £180 :(

Yep you've been taken for a few ££ Britpart are not GENUINE

there is a world of difference as is normally found out after a while of fitting the cheaper alternative to Genuine.

Not genuine no, but I've had Britpart boxed items before that were OEM. They've always said so on the label though, whereas this one doesn't.

Not really got a choice now anyway, need it for the weekend so no time to send it back. If it fails in what I would consider a less than acceptable length of time then I will send it back.

I should just be clear for this thread and fair to Brit-Car that I paid for an OEM lift pump, not a genuine one some £40 more.

I did buy another item on the same order, paid for genuine and got a genuine Land Rover bagged and badged item.

I did once get an OEM belt tensioner, made I think by Dayco, but which came in a Britpart box. I assume it is the same with this lift pump.

From the strength of feeling on this forum at least, there is definitely room for an online business selling not-Britpart items. Perhaps even better would be for Britpart to sell parts for longevity and reliability, not just pound-shop prices.

Regards

Richard

"Yep you've been taken for a few ££ Britpart are not GENUINE"

Maybe not genuine but quite often OE (there is a very real diference between the words Genuine & OE).

Just because it came in a Britpart box it does not follow that it is not OE. Like most parts suppliers, Britpart will source their parts from many suppliers. Many is the time I have opened a Britpart box only to find it is the same part made by the same manufacturer as the genuine item. Items that immediately spring to mind are exhausts, heater motors and of course the Dayco belt tensioner mentioned in the earlier post (had one of them as well).

When I needed a new heater-motor for my 90 I had the option of genuine or Britpart as my local dealer had both in stock. We took both out of their boxes and found identical parts from the same manufacturer, obviously I bought the Britpart item which was about 40% cheaper.

I bought a new tailpipe for my 90 last year and particually wanted a Bosal item as their kit is very good and easily OE quality. One on-line supplier actually states on their website who is the manufacturer of an OE part is (anoyingly I can't remember the company at the moment) and it showed that Bosal was the manufacturer of Britpart exhausts. Needless to say I ordered the exhaust and a Bosal part arrived complete with Britpart label.

If you are convinced that the OE part you have ordered is not actually OE then you are entitled to a full refund (including postage) as the firm is guilty of mis-selling. Don't however get on your high horse and demand a full refund just because it is in a Britpart box as you might end up with egg on your face and liable for the postage fees (both ways) if you are found to be in the wrong.

I am not unhappy with my purchase, and certainly do not want to get on my high horse with Brit-Car who have always been very helpful.

However, I will look into the Bearmach suggestion as they have a place in Swindon which is not too far from me.

Thanks for the help.

Richard