Fuel Problems - any advice? - td5

sotal

My in-laws are having trouble with their td5 disco, basically it cut out a couple of days ago and wouldn't start again.

Seems to not be getting fuel.

My first suggestion was fuel pump, but he says you can hear that running. He took the pipe adapters off the fuel filter housing and the one on the left furthest from the chassis was blocked and the little valve inside was knackered. He fitted a new valve but it made no difference.

I've told him to take the pipes off and see if any fuel is being pumped out.

A friend of his has told him there is a valve at the engine end of the pipe which also gets blocked??

Any advice? Any common faults?

My in-laws are having trouble with their td5 disco, basically it cut out a couple of days ago and wouldn't start again.

Seems to not be getting fuel.

My first suggestion was fuel pump, but he says you can hear that running. He took the pipe adapters off the fuel filter housing and the one on the left furthest from the chassis was blocked and the little valve inside was knackered. He fitted a new valve but it made no difference.

I've told him to take the pipes off and see if any fuel is being pumped out.

A friend of his has told him there is a valve at the engine end of the pipe which also gets blocked??

Any advice? Any common faults?

Hey, sorry to hear about your woes.

I know it's a different car but it might help - I once had a BMW 540i V8 (beast!) but when I first got it, there was a fuelling problem. I started at the front, and check all the hoses and pipes to the engine, and all the ancillary bits up there, traced the fuel line back and replaced the filter which was near the rear axle, and then finally checked the fuel sender unit in the boot - turned out that in a BMW the pump and sender unit were paired but separable. I had to buy a new fuel pump from BMW and replace the part that actually sat in the tank.

I don't know if it's the same on a TD5, but I'd certainly be inclined to make sure the fuel pump is working, then check the sedimenter and the fuel filter - might as well replace them anyway because they're not expensive, and then as you say check all the hoses.

Only other thing I can suggest is to try and reset the ECU since iirc the TD5 is controlled by an engine management system. It might be that the injection isn't having a good time and might need a fettle, however you should be able to tell where the problem lies by tracing it from one end of the system to the other to make sure fuel delivery is happening.

If it is but you're having no luck, perhaps check glow plug and injectors?

Beyond that I'm stumped, but if it were my own vehicle I would certainly put my money on a duff fuel pump, or a blocked sedimenter or filter.

Just re-read your post again and you made no mention of him replacing the fuel filter - might help if it had been blocked!!

Also, what was he running it on? Straight diesel or mickey mouse fuels? Some will clog fuel lines, filters, injectors (veg oil, crappy biodiesels).

And, because the fuel pump is whirring, doesn't necessarily mean its pumping fuel anywhere, there could be something broken inside it. I'd replace.

sorry for the double post, but hope it helps.

He's still having problems with this,

he says that the fuel goes up to a pressure relief valve on the back of the engine, and it's pumping well up to there but it's also pumping at the same rate straight back to the tank from there.

The fuel pump never stops running like it used to it just keeps going.

Does that sound like the pressure relief valve is broken/clogged? Are they a common part to fail? or is it still likely to be the injector harness?

He says he's pulled the ECU and it's bone dry as are the connectors etc.

Any ideas?

Also thanks for the response chromofoam, it runs on normal diesel from Esso. As above he's now checked that fuel is getting up to the engine but it's pumping straight back

Thanks for that, I've told him to pull it apart and check the gauze filter inside the FPR. Fingers crossed it's blocked - but it just cut out, there was no missfiring or loss of power like most people with FPR problems talk about

• 3 weeks later...

He managed to track it down to the fuel pump, although it was running and pumping fuel round it wasn't making enough pressure, so the regulator was just returning it.

Does that right?

New pump fitted and the fuel was all jellified round it - so that was all cleaned out, anyone seen it like that?

I understood that the fuel pump pressurises the system, and once at pressure (about 4 bar), the FPR routes excess fuel to tank via the fuel cooler. ie the injectors will always be fed with fuel, although if the pump is ng then it will be fed at a low pressure, which can cause problems in itself (low power/revs/missing).

I have had the small gauze filter block, although this was through "mickey mouse!" fuel (as mentioned earlier on the forum)

Hey, sorry to hear about your woes.

I know it's a different car but it might help - I once had a BMW 540i V8 (beast!) but when I first got it, there was a fuelling problem. I started at the front, and check all the hoses and pipes to the engine, and all the ancillary bits up there, traced the fuel line back and replaced the filter which was near the rear axle, and then finally checked the fuel sender unit in the boot - turned out that in a BMW the pump and sender unit were paired but separable. I had to buy a new fuel pump from BMW and replace the part that actually sat in the tank.

I don't know if it's the same on a TD5, but I'd certainly be inclined to make sure the fuel pump is working, then check the sedimenter and the fuel filter - might as well replace them anyway because they're not expensive, and then as you say check all the hoses.

Only other thing I can suggest is to try and reset the ECU since iirc the TD5 is controlled by an engine management system. It might be that the injection isn't having a good time and might need a fettle, however you should be able to tell where the problem lies by tracing it from one end of the system to the other to make sure fuel delivery is happening.

If it is but you're having no luck, perhaps check glow plug and injectors?

Beyond that I'm stumped, but if it were my own vehicle I would certainly put my money on a duff fuel pump, or a blocked sedimenter or filter.

I also think so. Thank you for the post.

Watch The Losers Online Free

Watch The Back-Up Plan Online Free