bleeding power steering

hi

i have just changed my power steering pump and i am having trouble getting it bled

i have undone the bleed nipple on the steering box and let it run for atlest a couple of minutes but still the steering is very heavy,

what have you guys done to get it bled :huh:

the old pump had a lot of play in it, so much that i could not tension the belt propley, the old pump was ok on road, but i use the ol'e girl for comps so i didnt want it to let me down ,

so it must be air, as all was fine befor the change.

Trying to do the same with mine now after changing the pump this morning. Can't get it to work!

Opening the bleed screw produces a steady flow of bubble-free liquid. Tried the same with the front wheels raised and cycling the steering lock to lock a few times, no appreciable difference in flow and no more bubbles that I could see.

I cracked off the pressure feed union going into the box, accidentally undid it too far and the pump duly emptied the system onto the floor in the time it took me to scramble into the cab to turn off the engine. So it's certainly pumping fluid.

Any ideas folks?

Any ideas folks?

A very persistent air bubble? Usual health warnings apply, no responsibility etc., but how about giving it some "loud pedal" and repeating the lock to lock bit? (I've never had this problem, by they way)

in the time it took me to scramble into the cab to turn off the engine.

Any ideas folks?

yep - pull the stop solenoid wire.

Back OT, with mine i leave the wheels on the ground. start her up, bleed in the straight ahead position. close bleed nipple, turn her full lock one way then the other way holding her there for 20s or so (just back from actual full lock) then put her back to straight ahead and bleed again until she runs clear of air. easiest way to tell is with a clear pipe on the nipple so you can see whats happening.

i also take the viscous off first to save my sleeves!

i also take the viscous off first to save my sleeves!

I have no viscous fitted so at least that part is easier :)

I have sorted it now, sat in the cab and gave it some beans while cycling the steering. It then started making that straining noise on reaching full lock and upon lowering the wheels to the ground for a test drive all seems to be well. I think all the air is out of the system, but I will take my bottle of ATF with me to Hogmoor tomorrow anyhow :P

Thanks for the help guys, it's lovely having properly effective power steering again. Coupled with the discs on the rear, it's a different car to drive!

For what it's worth, it took about five minutes of constant lock-to-lock turning, periodically giving it a bit of a rev, on mine before it suddenly just went. Must have been a big bubble trapped somewhere as errol suggested above.

I went for a test drive to try and get the system to self bleed, turning round in the fuel station was a horrible experience without the PAS on a steering setup geared to have it :(

just been out for another bleed :angry:

let me tell you my findings, the motor is on axel stands,the hand throtle set to a very quick tickover, clear pipe from the steering box bleed nippel to the reservoir , wheels in the stright ahead , now im standing at the offside wheel holding the the pipe over the reservoir with a good flow...turning the wheels with my knee's i am still getting flow but not so good , when i get on full lock very small flow, when coming off full lock flow stops and even creeps back a bit, back to center good flow.

this happens on both locks

is this air .............or is my new pump u/s

cheers john

just been out for another bleed :angry:

let me tell you my findings, the motor is on axel stands,the hand throtle set to a very quick tickover, clear pipe from the steering box bleed nippel to the reservoir , wheels in the stright ahead , now im standing at the offside wheel holding the the pipe over the reservoir with a good flow...turning the wheels with my knee's i am still getting flow but not so good , when i get on full lock very small flow, when coming off full lock flow stops and even creeps back a bit, back to center good flow.

this happens on both locks

is this air .............or is my new pump u/s

cheers john

Sounds like your having fun John!! :blink: I have a spare one here if you want to try it?? But it leaks a bit!! have kept it just as a spare. your welcome to try it & see if it makes any difference??

You have my number give me a call if you need it & i'll leave it out for you somewhere as i'm off out soon ;):D

cheers kev sorted for the mo ;)

had another butchers at it this afternoon, took the pump of drained the fluids and started again, i refited the pump, went though the system bled it all.......ed zakery the same :(

took of the new pump again got the old pump out of the bin(this pump had lots of play in the pully but was ok) re fitted old pump...it bled up in seconds and wulla perfect!! untill the rear seal let go :o drained it down fitted new "o" ring and again bled within seconds and was fine.

so i'm pretty dam sure my new pump is u/s.

i'm just reading the paddocks return policey and it stinks....send back said item then they will send it back to the manufactors for inspection, this could take weeks :angry:

i shall think twice befor spending any more of my hard e'rnt cash with them.

right i'm of to de-grease the front drive befor the misses see's what a mess atf can make.

I have had exactly the same problem as this twice when fitting a new pump to a friends truck... on both occasions the issue was down to a fault with the new pump- both genuine parts from a reputable dealer. I managed to track the issue down to a tiny pin prick hole in the outer casing where it had been spot welded together- it was letting air into the system so try as I might- and god did I try- I just could not shift the air out of the system. Both were exchanged for replacements without any question.

Si

• 4 weeks later...

just a little update

after waiting over 2 weeks i managed to get a second pump........fitted it ........and ....ed zakery the same as the first pump :angry:

after being told i was doing somthing wrong or somthing else was wrong.....anything but there second pump being faulty...anyway after a few polite phone calls got them to send my money back.

managed to get a second hand pump today..fitted it ......perfect didnt even have to bled it......

so happy bunny know........and ready to compete this sunday :D