Warn 8074 on a Disco 1

Mark

Just in case anyone was interested, I thought I would post up a few pix of the 8074 that I aquired at sodbury installed on my disco.

When I bought the winch, it looked like this:

winch1s.jpg

It was bolted into a mount which also constituted the drum support. On closer inspection the motor was found to be burnt out, one of the solenoids was dead, and the wiring was generally shot. It was also missing the freespool lever. I stripped the whole thing down, and the internals were actually in pretty good shape.

The motor that is installed now is on a borrow from a mate, and needed a new bearing pressing into the housing as the shaft was a lot smaller than my existing one. It also needed a small sleeve machining to reduce the id of the bearing even more, since I just bought the nearest easily available one that fitted the od on the housing! I have now aquired a new 5HP motor which will be going on this weekend hopefully...

The freespool lever was missing, and having seen one or two pictures of these winches the original lever appears to be operated at the back of the winch. Given that I was burying this in the front of the disco I made my version use the same mounting points but be operated from the front. I am very pleased with how that came out:

freespool.jpg

The drum end support was missing completely, so I started from scratch. I chose to use a proper ball bearing to mount the mainshaft in, so I got the biggest bearing I could find (the version with rubber seals on each side) and worked from that. I used a piece from a lump of aluminium I had lying around and machined a pocket to take the bearing. I also drilled and tapped mounting holes to mate up with the existing holes on the bumper. The aluminium is about 21mm thick and seems plenty man enough for this job.

This is a bit of a carp photo, as you can't really see it once it is installed. I will take some better ones when I have it apart this weekend if anyone is interested:

endsupport1.jpg

Mounting the beast once it was built up was a whole world of fun, mainly because the $crapiron bumper was not designed for a warn high profile winch. This meant some new holes needed to be drilled as this bolts through the front rather than through the base. I also had to remove some metal from both the back edge of the winch tray and from the underside of the slam panel to get the winch to fit in the hole!

front.jpg

I deliberatly got a hawse with offset mounting holes knowing that the bumper was already drilled for an offset fairlead. Making my own drum support meant that I could utilise the existing hole.

The winch looks pretty much at home in the front of the car, and does not stick out the front much at all, which is always good. It is a very tight fit in there though!

sideview.jpg

I am running the winch off a second battery with an x-eng split charge to charge it. Installing the second battery was very easy, as it is pretty much a mirror image of how the main vehicle battery is installed. The only marginally complicated bit is the split charge relay, but since the second battery is on the same side of the engine as the alternator, cable runs are really pretty minimal.

The wiring on the winch is all 35mm^2 flexible cable with crimped ends. I picked up a crimping tool on eBlag a while ago, and was very glad of it! The cable came from our local scrap metal place, so was very cheap! I can't remember where the terminals came from, but I have run out now so need to remember!

Control for the winch is via a switch in the cab to enable it, and then either another dash mounted in-out switch or by plugging the remote into one of two sockets on the front grille (one each side). I didn't want to mount a switch directly on the front of the car, so the plug in remote works fine for me.

This started out as a budget winch install, and whilst i has not been the cheapest way to do it, it certainly hasn't been the most expensive! All the machineing was done by me on my little myford ml7, which I find very satisfying. However, I must thank various members of the Horsham posse for putting up with me phoning them and dropping into thier workshops for impromtu winch lessons. Mainly this would be Nick (RogueVogue) for his patience and seemingly endless supply of bits of winch and Si (simonr) for the use of his press and generally putting up with me!

Bit of a long post know but I figure I like reading this sort of stuff, so maybe a couple of other people might be interested too.

Cheers

Mark

That looks bloody good Mark!

Post some more photos of your end-plate if you get a chance - I for one am interested. It's all the more impressive milling it on a Myford (having tried milling on mine & found it unsatisfying).

Si

Guest diesel_jim

For the crimps, most motor factors do them, but if you want really cheap ones (and i mean cheap money wise, not cheap quality!), go to an electrical wholesalers, like Wilts wholseale (they have depots all around the south of England)

I think the 35mm-8's/10's (thats 35mm cable and 8 or 10 mm hole for the bolt to go through) are somehting like 10p each. we use them at work, great stuff!

Hi Mark

Very professional, I'm hoping to do something similar, need the winch first <_< , do you have a gap between the back of the winch to the rad? Or could you or someone else tell me how deep the 8274 is? I'm hoping I can fit it behind grill completely and then have a removable homemade grill.

Thanks for the comments guys. I will post some more pictures of the end support over the weekend.

SOA 93 - With it in the position shown, there is about an inch (possibly incah and a half) between the rad and the back of the winch. I don't think there is much scope to move it back, and with the front of the bumper being as high as you need for an 8274, taking the winch off will involve removing the bumper too if the gap is any smaller!

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the comments guys. I will post some more pictures of the end support over the weekend.

SOA 93 - With it in the position shown, there is about an inch (possibly incah and a half) between the rad and the back of the winch. I don't think there is much scope to move it back, and with the front of the bumper being as high as you need for an 8274, taking the winch off will involve removing the bumper too if the gap is any smaller!

Cheers

Mark

Looks like its gone in really neat, you might want to consider strengthening the top edge of the winch plate, to stop it bending under load.

Have you got a back guard on it to stop the cable (or rope) destroying the rad if it snaps?

could i be cheeky and ask you to post a piccy (or two) of your battery install.... i've got a 300Tdi, and want to fit a second battery, and took one look under the bonnet and thought 'no chance' so would be interested to see how you did it. :)

many thanks

m@tt.

if you get a few more pics, from different angles i reckon this could go in the tech archive....

Have you got a back guard on it to stop the cable (or rope) destroying the rad if it snaps?

No, there is nothing between the rad and the winch - I think the winch does a pretty good job of restricting the airflow as it is! I am using Rope, so hopefully if it snaps it will not ping back with the same sort of force that the wire rope would....

could i be cheeky and ask you to post a piccy (or two) of your battery install.... i've got a 300Tdi, and want to fit a second battery, and took one look under the bonnet and thought 'no chance' so would be interested to see how you did it. :)

if you get a few more pics, from different angles i reckon this could go in the tech archive....

Yep, no problem. I will get some pictures of the 2nd battery install tomorrow. I think you will find that your air cleaner is in the way on a 300, but don't quote me on that!

Cheers

Mark

Well, I have spent this afternoon fitting a new motor to the 8074. Since the motor I have keyed, and the new one is splined, I had to change the drive gear as well, which meant removing the winch from the vehicle and opening it up - lots of fun!!

Several people have asked about clearence between the rad and the back of the winch, so here is a picture - as you can see there isn't much! You can also see where I removed metal from the back of the winch tray to fit this in.

back.jpg

Winch Drum Support

Here are some more pictures of the drum end support that I made. With the grille removed, you get a better idea of it in position:

endsupportinsitu.jpg

My original design had the bac corner radiused in a similar sahpe to the main body the winch, but in the end I didn't have the time to do it, particulary as is urely aesthetic!

The support is actually 2 pieces, since the lump of aluminium I had wasn't quite big enough! I added a piece of 1"square on the bottom - it is bolted on with a couple of stainless cap headed bolts screwed into blind tapped holes ino the main piece. The edge got milled with a ball nosed cutter to try and make it look nice. It wasn't remotely necessary but I liked it!

endsupport1.jpg

The picture below shows the big bearing that I used. The hole it sits in was the vast majority of the machining involved. However, all the mounting holes were also drilled on the lathe, since the bit of metal didn't fit under my drill press! the rest of the effort to make this went into making two of the edges flat and sqaure after I used a hacksaw to remove this bit from a larger piece. They turned out to be the front edge that is shown in the photo and the rear one (which isn't).

The bottom corner is radiused to give clearence as the fold along the front edge of the bumper is not particularly tight.

endsupport2.jpg

Battery install:

The Second battery is installed as basically a mirror image of the primary battery:

2ndbattery1.jpg

The battery clamp I made from a piece of angle and some 'J' bolts (often referred to as roofing bolts) through existing holes in the vehicle. The battery terminals are designed to have loads of connections, since I am going to wire some other stuff to this battery they seemed like a good idea. The green 'snot' is some battery terminal grease/insulator stuff.

2ndbattery2.jpg

You can see the X-Eng split charge relay mounted close to the battery, in order to keep the wiring runs short and simple. Ideally it should go in a more protected place, but this is pretty high in the engine bay, so should be OK. It is also very convienient considering the rest of the wiring for the split charge to the alternator:

2ndbattery3.jpg

[note for Mo: the exhaust is nowhere near any of my winch wiring!]

Having changed the motor for a 4.6 (I think) warn motor I am impressed how fast this is! I am worried that the standard alternator might not be up to the job though, so if anyone has any suggestons for high output alternators that might fit the 200 tdi, I would be grateful.

I have more photos, so if there is someting you want to see, let me know.

Cheers

Mark

I found a company doing 130Amp alts for 200tdis on eblag last year, dammed if i can remember the company name though. from memory it was about £100 inc postage with warrenty etc

I believe some of the later tdi (RRs?) had 120amp alts as standard but dont quote me on that.

very neat install, i wish i had the skills/patience/time to do things like that to my heap.

on a 300tdi the airbox is where the 2nd batt is in that pic. you've got two options really, swop back to a 200tdi airbox etc - dunno if it'd plumb straight in or the way ive seen it done. remove the washer bottle & fit a smaller one elsewhere then weld in a battery tray where the bottle was. there is room to put a 072 batt where the washer bottle is with this setup. i think a miltitary 110 washer bottle was fitted near the suspension turret on the one i saw done.

Hmmmmm... thing is, ive got a pair of 110Ah leisure batteries, that i had as 'house batteries' in my 110, they are a bit bigger than an 072, i'd like to use both, as i did in the 110, but just one would be fine... :huh:

my original plan was to fit them in the 'boot' in the back of the cargo drawer unit i'm just about to build.

i reckon i'm going to stick with the original plan as i'd like to use both batts and theres no way i'm gonna get them under the bonnet. <_<

i've just got to decide the best way to get a charge cable from the original battery to the boot.

its either along the chassis until i reach the boot floor, or in through the bulkhead and under the carpet.... :huh:

Thanks for the comments chaps. I have to admit I am pleased with the way it has come out. If someone wanted to put it into the tech archive, that would be fine by me! :D

Cheers

Mark