buying a defender - what to look for

Hi guys

I got into offroading in september last year through loughborough's Off Road Driving Society at loughborough university and am now looking to get a truck of my own.

However when looking at trucks i'm not really sure exactly what i'm looking for, common problems etc, things to test. The guys in my club have pointed out a few things and i was hoping to get some more ideas from you guys off here. the truck i'm hopefully going to see has had a 200tdi conversion for a disco. what are common problems and things I should be looking out for? any advice at all would be much appreciated!

many thanks in advance

Hi and welcome,

I think Ross will also back me up on this, don't just buy the first one you see, there are a lot of very bad examples out there, my advice would be to look at lots first and make sure you take someone with you that has had them before, if you are going to view one a quick post on here and you will find that someone should be close and would be happy to view it with you.

The second thing I would say is although there are some very good Defenders out there given your post about how you got the bug I would guess you are fairly young you need to check first that they will insure the modifications without adding to much you may be better to get something fairly standard for now and then add bits later as you build up your NCD. don't be put of by a standard Defender (if there is such a thing!!) they are still a very capable vehicle.

Cheers, Jason.

Yes, don't buy the first one you see. I looked at one, it was a learning curve and not too bad a truck, but I found a far better one! By looking at more than one, you then have the ability to compare them :)

Insurance is not as bad as people think. I started looking for a standard truck, but ended up with a slightly modified one. I'm with Adrian Flux, and they aren't too bad cost wise, I'm only paying £200 more than the last renewal on the 1.1 Pug. And it was also using no no claims.

Even as a Land Rover die-hard, I am still impressed by the capability of a standard truck on road tyres!!

Hi there.

I echo the advice given by the others on this thread.

I went to Loughborough till 2003 and never realised that they had an offroading society or else I would have joined.

No doubt you've already looked at what the other members have got and will be able to tailor a truck to your needs.

Be prepared though, for a vrtually constant trickle of cash being spent from your wallet, as once the bug bites and you push your limits offroad, things tend to break,tear,leak,squeal,puncture, rumble and go bang!

Happy Hunting, and if you can't find what you are looking for then a friend is potentially selling his Defender 90 (1986 D) with a Perkins engine conversion with some QT, X-Eng, Special track etc, goodies on-board. And if bodywork dents scratches (not chassis/bulkhead) is not a major concern then my own truck with 200tdi conversion could possibly be wrestled from my hands.

Regards

Dave

Hi guys

I got into offroading in september last year through loughborough's Off Road Driving Society at loughborough university and am now looking to get a truck of my own.

However when looking at trucks i'm not really sure exactly what i'm looking for, common problems etc, things to test. The guys in my club have pointed out a few things and i was hoping to get some more ideas from you guys off here. the truck i'm hopefully going to see has had a 200tdi conversion for a disco. what are common problems and things I should be looking out for? any advice at all would be much appreciated!

many thanks in advance

do you WANT a landrover or a capable off roader?

a 90's great but expensive to purchase and are getting on a bit

There are some other worthy 4x4 worth a mention.

if i were in your shoes i'd look at a hard top suzuki jimnyohmy.gif cracking off road, cheap to run and insure, reliable and alot newer than a £2k 90!...circa 1989