35 mph warning/workshop manual

davie1

Hi Guys,

I am getting a warning on the dash readout of max speed 35 mph, the performance has not been comprimised, have just changed out the suspension to coils & have an ABS light on but I know that is one of the sensors. Would be appreciated if anyone could cast some light on the subject for me. Also could anyone reccomend a workshop manual for the P38 TD as I can't find one.

Regards

Davie

Are you sure you haven't caught the computer stalk and activated the overspeed "feature" ? Check the owners handbook, I can't remember exactly how you set it/reset it but I know SWMBO once managed to switch it on by accident on ours :)

Thanks Dave,

my mate had the same thought so tried the computer stalk but the buttons seem broken, I have not recieved the handbook yet but have been promised it as the last owner misplaced it but said I would get it when found. (Ha Ha) Will see my other mate tommorow, he is in the trade so hopefully will know what to do, I was just worried I had disturbed something when I changed out the suspension as I am a complete moron with electronics was imagining the worst.

Thanks for the reply

Davie

Have you disconnected the ride height sensors and told the computer?

Either the sensors might be reading heigh if they are still connected, or if they have been disconnected but not told the computer they might be seen as faulty?

PS - I have no experience with P38's, but believe it's system is similar to the Discovery 2's.

It can happen as Dave W has said, but I suspect that in this case the cause is the removal of the EAS.

The BECM is seeing the EAS as Bust, which it is, so flags up the appropriate alarm.

The kit should have come with some instructions about cross linking some wires to stop the alarm.

Look on the Rover Renovations site. He tends to be very good with technical documentation, so he may have the information on his site, although you may have to 'look in the corners' so to speak.

If you can't find it there, look on the main RangeRovers.net site as it might have been placed there.

If it isn't there you will have to Search the 38A Forum on the RR.net site. I suggest you do search, because the regulars, even one or two of the Moderators, can be a bit acid with people asking obvious questions without searching, and there will be a time when you need assistance from that forum.

The one place you won't find specific instructions for cancelling the fault is in the Workshop and Electrical Manuals, which together with the Owners Handbook, you will find on the RAVE CD, which you will find by Googling 'Green Oval Download'. You need to be computer savvy enough to convert the image file to operate on a PC, but lots of people can do that nowadays.

Note the Handbook has a section on the possible causes of the Alarm Messages, which is always worth a read as the first clue to fault finding.

HTH

Thanks guys,

will make up 2 jump leads for the EAS ECU & give it a go tomorrow, invaluble info much appriciated. The RR is a nice vehicle but overloaded with ECUs BeCM & god knows what else. Anyway going to take my time & get it all sorted right before I put it back on the road, the Pajero is reliable, the RR more civilised. Quick question- I think it is riding too high with coils so thought about heating each spring at a localised point to see if I can drop it about 2", anybody done this or got any other ideas.

Cheers

Davie

OK found the problem, bad earth at BeCM. All right now, spoke to a guy who did this to his springs and had no problems but not going to rush it as dont intend to put it on the road till May, want to get some more points of view before doing it, might be better taking off each spring in turn to do.

Cheers

Davie