air compressors

ibexman

Some, but not all of it.

The air in the tank will cool down when the compressor isn't in use, that'll lower the pressure even though you haven't lost any air.

Eliminating all leaks is quite a task. check the joints with a squirty bottle full of a water/washing up liquid mix, you should be able to pick up bubbles from any leaks.

What's your setup? size? connections?

The one in the workshop here looses air morning, noon and night. But then, it's nearly twice my age... Still massively capable though. As long as it gets up to working pressure fairly quickly, and doesn't loose air at a comedy rate, I'd be inclined not to worry too much.

ideally they shouldn't lose any air - however in reality they nearly all do..

As the others have said, paintbrush and soapy water round all the joints will help to track down any big leaks, which could be solved using PTFE tape...

As does mine, I wish I had a pound for every I've been woken in the night by the clatter of the compressor because I've forgotten to turn it off !

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Yep, I know that problem

Its probably the drain screw on the bottom of the tank. Lots of them are just a thin knurled rim and are hard to do up completely. Mine farts continuously out of it, but the air volume is insignificant.

Besides, 'technically' you shouldn't leave it full of air anyway... (But who doesn't).

Al.

No it should not. Mine (nothing special - nasty Draper 25L 2hp which has been overheated a couple of times, chucked in the back of a pickup, (ab)used on a boat etc etc) doesn't lose any pressure if left even for a couple of weeks, as long as there are no tools left connected to it - the rattle gun leaks air and will empty the tank in 2-3 days likewise most of the other tools leak a small amount. All airline connections on mine are done properly with PTFE tape. Generally the more complicated the air distribution, the more potential for leaks - mine just has a fitting into the end of the receiver with a T on it, a curly 3/8 airline on one side and a 15m hose on the other, so it isn't hard to work through the joints to make sure there are no leaks.