Universal AC for Defender

I am shipping a 99 Defender 90 300tdi truck can to the Bahamas.

It gets really hot and humid in the summer time so I am looking into installing an aftermarket universal AC unit.

This system was recomended to me.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.co.uk/acheat.htm

It looks perfect for what I want, however the system does not come with a compressor or condensing radiator.

They do supply them but brackets would have to be created for everything to fit.

My question is;

Would the stock Land Rover compressor and condensing radiator work with this AC system?

That way all the brackets,belts,pulleys are already available.

Thanks.

I am shipping a 99 Defender 90 300tdi truck can to the Bahamas.

It gets really hot and humid in the summer time so I am looking into installing an aftermarket universal AC unit.

This system was recomended to me.

http://www.carbuilde...o.uk/acheat.htm

It looks perfect for what I want, however the system does not come with a compressor or condensing radiator.

They do supply them but brackets would have to be created for everything to fit.

My question is;

Would the stock Land Rover compressor and condensing radiator work with this AC system?

That way all the brackets,belts,pulleys are already available.

Thanks.

Why would you not just buy the LR original one from a breaker, they keep your legs cold, I'm sure by the time you have finished messing around it would work out cheaper.

Jason.

Sorry about non visible reply earlier (hit the wrong button)

Even with the high temperature and humidity a full A/C system in a 90 truck cab is likely to be a bit overkill. Basically it will sap horse power just to produce loads of water and will be very difficult to control. There have been instances in this country of the occupants of Tractor cabs suffering from thermal shock because the system was too powerfull for the small cab space.

Personally, I would be inclined to look at a 12volt cab roof mounted unit that will struggle, but at least won't be constantly short cycling.

In case you are wondering where my info comes from.... 25 years in transport refrigeration and air conditioning.

Even with the high temperature and humidity a full A/C system in a 90 truck cab is likely to be a bit overkill. Basically it will sap horse power just to produce loads of water and will be very difficult to control. There have been instances in this country of the occupants of Tractor cabs suffering from thermal shock because the system was too powerfull for the small cab space.

Personally, I would be inclined to look at a 12volt cab roof mounted unit that will struggle, but at least won't be constantly short cycling.

In case you are wondering where my info comes from.... 25 years in transport refrigeration and air conditioning.

I doubt if you will get that problem with a LR original one!!!! although it really makes your legs cold!!!! they are not the greatest units...

Hi, could you recomend a 12volt roof top mounted system that would work with the 90 truck cab?

Thanks.

Hi, could you recomend a 12volt roof top mounted system that would work with the 90 truck cab?

Thanks.

Can't recomend any particular make ( I have used mostly Waeco/Dometic ) but if you type in 12volt air conditioner into your search you will see loads. Just remember to reduce the claims made about performance by about 30% because all manufacturers base their figures on ideal lab conditions.

Most of the 12volt kit comes from the US.