VCU's again!

Bobs

Hi,sorry to raise this subject again.

I've just "tested" my vcu by jacking up one rear wheel and chocking the fronts. I was able to turn the wheel, but only with the help of a breaker bar.

When I looked underneath, two tippex marks that I had put on the vcu were still aligned, even though the whole thing had rotated through 180 degrees.

Should the movement on the wheel have been the result of seperation of the marks?

Where was the difference between front and back taken up?

Also, when the vcu is working properly, does it take a short interval for the fluid to warm up sufficiently to drive the rear wheels when the fronts loose grip?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi,sorry to raise this subject again.

I've just "tested" my vcu by jacking up one rear wheel and chocking the fronts. I was able to turn the wheel, but only with the help of a breaker bar.

When I looked underneath, two tippex marks that I had put on the vcu were still aligned, even though the whole thing had rotated through 180 degrees.

Should the movement on the wheel have been the result of seperation of the marks?

Where was the difference between front and back taken up?

Also, when the vcu is working properly, does it take a short interval for the fluid to warm up sufficiently to drive the rear wheels when the fronts loose grip?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't quite seem able to get my head round this vcu thing. I was not trying to do the "tippex test" as such, but, as I had managed to force the rear wheel round without the front wheels turning I had expected that the vcu would have permitted this to happen and that the back half must have turned without the front half thereby resulting in adisplacement of the marks?

I can't see how the whole propshaft was able to turn and the front wheels not.

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but any help appreciated.

Thanks

Where did you put the Tippex marks?

I have only ever tested my VCU's with the breaker bar, and if it is blomming hard to move it, and when it does move it is smooth, then I don't worry. there is an aweful lot of hype and misinformation about the VCU, mostly from people who don't actually know anything about them. Both of my Freelanders have done over 75k miles, the last one nearer 100k, and the VCU has been fine.

If you have no other signs of problems don't worry about it and just enjoy your Freelander.

Where did you put the Tippex marks?

I have only ever tested my VCU's with the breaker bar, and if it is blomming hard to move it, and when it does move it is smooth, then I don't worry. there is an aweful lot of hype and misinformation about the VCU, mostly from people who don't actually know anything about them. Both of my Freelanders have done over 75k miles, the last one nearer 100k, and the VCU has been fine.

If you have no other signs of problems don't worry about it and just enjoy your Freelander.

these vcus are a pain in the arse mate...and as said above, alot of misinfo etc reguarding vcu's...

s just spent 800 quid due to vcu paranoia... tried tipex, breaker bars etc etc.. was convinced it was goosed due to the car being so tight when on full lock, like the breaks are on...

spent 800 quid on vcu and ird bearing overhaul etc...got the car back and it felt exactly the same.... (hard lesson to learn i know...)

in fact, if anything, i think the car feels even tighter when reversing on full lock now !!! apparently, " a charactoristic of any vehicle which uses a viscous coupling withing the drive train."

Llanigraham = wise old owl, stop worrying and just drive and enjoy it, theres more misleading and worrying rubbish spouted about the VCU on 4x4 forums than any other subject and a lot of myths have grown up around them, some down right stupid to anyone with any experience of gears and drives.