Plastic drive rivets

Igol

Anyone suggest a suitable replacement fixing thats actually reusable than these stupid sodding trim fixings?

I'm going to have to drill out 20 of them on the trim that covers the sill on my disco and as I hate them with a passion dont really want to replace like for like.

Drill? don't the pins just push out the centre allowing the rivet to collapse and be removed from the hole?

Thats the way I have normally removed them, the centre pins drop into the sill but this normaly has enough rust holes to be able to retrieve them then reuse them!.

Think you'll find the round bit of the 'rivet' just pushes through (& falls inside the sill) then you can just pull the rest out.

If you can get the centres out again then you can reuse them! If you're repairing holes then just put a piece of plastic tube on the end of the hoover & suck them out. (or drill a suitable hole then use a rubber grommet to fill it again) Worked for me on a RRC :) and you'll probably be frightened by the amount of rust scale you get out as well :o

If you need to buy them, I think these are what you need http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DISCOVERY-SILL-TRIM-RETAINING-CLIPS-SET-OF-40_W0QQitemZ370122553183QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item562d05f75f

The Disco 2 uses these, use a screwdriver (unless you have a proper trim tool) to lever the centres back Then the whole thing will pull out. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery-2-Sill-Retaining-Rivets-ANR2224_W0QQitemZ290405914150QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100224?IMSfp=TL100224117001r2461

Thats the way I have normally removed them, the centre pins drop into the sill but this normaly has enough rust holes to be able to retrieve them then reuse them!.

I usually use 1/8" brazing rod, cut to length, and a slight chamfer on the leading

end, as a replacement for lost pins. Easier than routing in the dirt, and quicker

than fetching or mail ordering.

I usually use 1/8" brazing rod, cut to length, and a slight chamfer on the leading

end, as a replacement for lost pins. Easier than routing in the dirt, and quicker

than fetching or mail ordering.

Hadn't thought of that!.

Good plan though, way to go in the future, thanks.