wet td5

Wolfie69

Hi can anybody offer some advice on problem I am having with my td5.On Sunday was playing in some water (not too deep) and managed to get bow wave washed over bonnet,then started a hill climb straight after on which engine died.Re-started in reverse backed to bottom of hill and back into water engine died again.This time refused to start.Recovered from water when bonnet opened found air filter wet,removed filter,dried air box,sprayed all sensors with wd40 engined tried too fire once then engine management light came on and no attempt to fire again.Switched off ignition left for 60 secs tried again,same thing happened engine tried to fire but management light came on again.Tried this several times to no avail.Towed car home tried to bump start on way there was no response at first but when tried with no throttle usage car starts but only on tick over,as soon as you touch throttle management light comes on and engine dies.Will not start on key only bump start with no throttle.

Hope some one can shed some light on this as I have no idea.Thanks

Had car on diagnostics and error code 0088 (EGR inlet throttle output drive open load fault.)came up.Has anyone got any ideas as to what this means,also if you squirt fuel into the air inlet the car starts otherwise it has to be towed but still dies on throttle use.Thanks Ian

It is to do with a fault on the exhaust gas recirculation, unlikely to be the problem. Fuel pump would be my guess - can you hear it humming in the tank? If not, it's fked, if so, do a fuel pressure test anyway, should be 58psi / 4 bar.

Been into garage this morning they have tried replacing fuel pressure regulator no change they now think ecu is fried.

my old man, did the same thing with his d2. i endded up takeing the top off the ecu, and dring it out with a hair dryer. i so had to do the same with the BCU as he did it proply and had water over the top of the center console.lol.. after i put it back together it work ok after that.

i would try that before replaceing the ecu.

ben.....

if the air filter was wet then how much water did she take in if its hydrauliced then maybe a bent con rod/s or even done the head gasket i had a perkins prima take in water and this blew the head gasket on 1,3,4 but didnt bend conrods hope this helps.

I think you will find that water has gotten into the EGR valve and is causing a problem. The ECU is not getting the correct feedback when the EGR is meant to open, hence error code and engine not starting.

Feedback on Mercedes engines (I'm not familiar with how LR engines work) means that when the EGR valve is triggered to open the MAF (air flow sensor) shows a corresponding reduction in air flow as exhaust gases are admitted into the inlet manifold thereby reducing the amount of fresh air entering the system via the MAF. If the EGR valve doesn't open then the MAF sensor doesn't show any reduction and the ECU flags an error and puts the engine into limp mode.

Tried disconnecting EGR valve and it made no difference have got ECU in bits on my boiler drying out although no sign of water ingress,I am going to drain tank and put fresh fuel in just in case there is water in the fuel.

aye up wolfie mate, am i right in thinking the ecu is under the passenger seat? if so you said you didn't get water in the car itself hence dry pedals then the ecu should be fine, have you checked to see if there is oil coming down the ecu wiring harness? this is common in td5's apparently if the oil seals fail, if all is well then it's most likely water in something in the engine bay if that's all that got wet.

bet you wish you'd re shelled the 300tdi now after all the cash you've spent fixing head gasket and now this. no electronic stuff on it.

have you changed the air filter? if that is waterlogged then it would struggle for air giving the engine a hard time when revving hence this problem.

A big thank you to all who offered advice,I took ECU off removed front and rear covers,I found residue around 1 contact on the bottm that bridged to 2 others.Cleaned this then it on my boiler for 2 days.I returned it to the car today and it started first time and is now parked back outside my house again.Moral of this story is if you want to play in water put Ecu in a bag and cable tie shut.Gripper Ecu is in engine bay behind the battery not under seat.So thank you again.

glad it's running again mate, don't know where i heard that it's under the seat from, you may be best putting it in a waterproof box and sealing holes up that you feed the wiring through with some silicone then it should be fine from then on. was it the big puddle at the bottom of the big hill you went in?