1957 Series 1 with a poorly 3.5 V8

gibbon

I recently bought my first series 1, a 1957 SWB which came with a very non standard 3.5 v8 on twin SU's. It was a little poorly when I got it and as it burns more oil than a diesel I'm toying with the idea of fitting a 300tdi into it.

I'm just questioning, will it fit? has anyone converted one to 200/300tdi? what are the big problems going to be? bellhousing fab?

If not then it'll end up with a 3.9 efi in it but would love to go down the diesel route!

Definitely into a bellhousing swap on the gearbox unless it has already been changed for a later 4 cylinder box, or if it is the original S1 box change it for a D suffix or later S3 box. With a S1 > S2A box you would need a late S2a diaphragm clutch cover.

as you've already got an adapter kit for the v8, you might find you have almost everything you need to fit a 300tdi. dont the v8 and 300tdi fit the same bellhousing?

I'm not sure, can one of the elders confirm that? :unsure:

There was a series one I saw recently with a discovery 200tdi engine fitted into it mated to a series 2A gearbox (4 speed syncromesh) and transfer box.

As far as i'm aware it on an original series 1 box which jumps out of gear for fun! :blink::angry::lol:

As for going for an original 2 litre, I would if the rest of the vehicle warranted it from a standard point of view, but as you can see..... standard it aint!!!

Dont the v8 and 300tdi fit the same bellhousing?

No.

A 200 TDi will fit your current bellhousing (minus adapter plate of course). A 300 TDi will fit sort of, but it's a bit of a bodge. You can however, remove the flywheel casing from a 200 TDi/2.5TD/2.5D/2.25 and fit to a 300 TDi, then it will mate to the bellhousing.

I think.... :ph34r:

No.

A 200 TDi will fit your current bellhousing (minus adapter plate of course). A 300 TDi will fit sort of, but it's a bit of a bodge. I think.... :ph34r:

No it wont if the OP is correct in saying that its the original series 1 box for a 2ltr petrol as the bolting pattern is totally different, if it was for a 2ltr diesel then it would mate up as that has the same bolting pattern as a 2.25/2.5.

Ive fitted a 300 di (tdi without the turbo)in my 57 Series 1 - however it already had a series 3 box. I doubt the original box would last long if using a 300 with the turbo..........so mybe a box swap is on the cards a well.......

As far as a 300 goes its easier if you go di rather than tdi as there are issues with room for rad/oilcooler/intercooler etc. Its doable just more hassle. A 200 di is easier - checkout this site

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

If going di you will need a 2 1/4 diesel exhaust manifold and clamps then use the

2 1/4 diesel exhaust system. You also need a fuel return pipe to the tank.

There are a couple of large alloy tabs on the 300 clutch housing that will need to be removed cos they hit the series gearbox x member, then it will mate to a Series 2/3 box with one hole needing to be drilled and tapped at the 6 oclock position in the clutch housing. On the S3 box a 9 1/2 inch standard clutch/cover fits. Also the 300 has a serpentine belt to drive the power steering pump alternator etc, so you need to take the rollers out of the power steering pump and pack it with grease to use as an idler wheel. You also need to blank off the oil cooler lines and remove the thermostat from behind the oil filter housing. A new engine mount needs welding on the chassis on the drivers side. Radiator hoses are a drama and will need fabricating from other hoses. With standard diffs it revs it tits off at 45/50 so I fitted 200 Disco diffs which improves things. Its no rocketship but keeps a similar character for a S1 and does about 35mpg.

Good Luck

Paul