Changing springs

SPendrey

Hi... I need to replace the 1 year old Britpart shocks on the back of my Disco 300TDI as they have failed the/their MOT! So, I've decided to buy a Bearmach kit including springs etc. Problem is I'm concerned about the right way to remove the old springs. Having unbolted the retaining bar at the bottom, should I just give them a sideways (to the rear) knock and stand back? RAVE says use a spring compression tool, but I haven't got one. If the knock it and stand back works, I presume the replacements will be near impossible to install right?

Advice appreciated as always. Thanks,

Scott

Well, if they are standard height springs (assume they are) if you jack the truck up, put an axel stand under the chassis and take the wheel off, you may be lucky and be able to take the spring out without compressing. Perhaps take the anti-roll bars off while you do this to get extra axle droop. Alternitivly nip to halfords, spring compressors are only £10-£15. A few people have managed using ratchet straps, so could give that a go. If your just going to hit them stand well back, lol, not sure it'll work, but if it does rather you than me :-P And if its hard to hammer them out, it'll be even harder to hammer them in!

When I fitted HD springs the easiest way I found was to use Axle stands as suggested, then for the front use the Disco bottle jack between the chassis and axle to spread the axle down a bit, being careful not to pull the brake lines too much. At the rear the axle fell far enough that a screwdriver levered the springs out (and HD's back in) quite easily.

If you're replacing the dampers too, don't bother trying to unbolt them at the front, just angle grinder the shaft and they fall apart .. ;)

Yeah, well I hope the replacements are better... "ProComp 9000" (or something like that). Anyway, not going so well, and need more advice! Have bought some spring compressors and sorted that bit. But, I managed to strip the thread on the top shock mounting. I think it is an M12 size, but what thread is it so I can re-tap?

Ian, to answer your question, no, he wasn't kind!

Both rear shocks failed

Both rear body mounts need replacing

One rear brake pipe corroded (but that's understandable, since they've been on a warning for years now!)

Boot floor and left side of boot floor area corroded (well, missing actually) too close to the body mount

So, I've started work on the 'easy' bit, only to find I stripped the bolt/nut. :angry:

One other thing... where do the rings in this picture go? Front or rear? I'm assuming the front!

http://www.mailorder4x4.com/acatalog/info_2951.html

They are the top seat ( shock tower) retaining rings. They go on the top of the spring, pass through the spring top seat, then the bottom of the tower, then 4-nuts are fitted to it to hold it all together.

Les.

At the front though right? There seemed to be a rubber ring topping the rear springs, which I simply moved from the old springs to the new ones.

Just to close my original question, I didn't find exactly what thread it is/was, but an M12 nyloc nut did the job just fine. A bit stiff, but it looked to be making its own thread quite nicely!

Now all I need to do is the other jobs on the list :(

Whats the verdict on the springs Scott? i was looking at the very same set the other day!

I was after a 1" lift but they dont do them, only 2" so not sure who to turn to now.

Ian

To be honest, no idea what they're like yet... but I bought the 1" lift spacers from JGS4x4 on eBay. Excellent company to buy from as they're always lightning quick and well priced. There is a definite height difference visible between the old and the new setup, enough for a larger tyre for sure. It won't be ready for the next offroad day, although if you want company I'll be ready! :)

So, finally finished replacing the springs & shocks... only a few issues along the way! These are the 'standard height heavy duty' springs from Mail Order 4x4, plus the 1" spacers from JGS 4x4.

Not sure what the original ride height was, but the floor to wheel-arch now measures 32" on the front, and 32½" on the back (with standard wheels/tyres). When the mud tyres (not in the picture) finally give up I'll be buying 245/75's instead. Thinking that 235/85's are too much strain on the mechanicals! :)

Anybody care to check what those heights were before I fitted this stuff? I didn't measure :(

post-11857-127080722166_thumb.jpg

post-11857-127080724114_thumb.jpg

It's *MUCH* better to measure centre of hub to wheel arch to compare to other people's trucks, as differing tyre sizes screw up your above measurement...

For instance, mine on 33" tyres would seem pretty high compared to yours ;)

With 235/85 on modular rims you'll need to trim the front arches/bumper/valance, and just under the C-pillar at the back, however they are not too much strain on the mechanicals, they are a standard size on Defenders!

It's *MUCH* better to measure centre of hub to wheel arch to compare to other people's trucks, as differing tyre sizes screw up your above measurement...

For instance, mine on 33" tyres would seem pretty high compared to yours ;)

With 235/85 on modular rims you'll need to trim the front arches/bumper/valance, and just under the C-pillar at the back, however they are not too much strain on the mechanicals, they are a standard size on Defenders!

OK, so the *MUCH* better measurement is 19" front and rear.