Anyone know anything about this conversion?

kkk2

Motor and Diesel offered this conversion at one time, but I understand they only did a few. The engine is (confusingly) known as a 6.07tca , as stock it is about 180bhp. It was used in pickup trucks in South AMerica and possibly in Oz as well.

I've heard of them fitted to Defenders, and also Ford F250 pickups.

You might get some more info and experience on the HS2800TDI list on yahoo groups.

AKAIK the MWM 4.2 is a 6 cylinder version of the south american International / TGV 2.8 engine. Which in turn is kind of a big capacity 200Tdi engine. They are made in South America (Brazil) and have been fitted to everything from south american spec Suburbans to Volkswagen trucks.

Good power, reasonable weight, good reliability, so I would say a good option. 2.8 TGVs have to ability to eat a standard land rover drive trian so this beast would definately be able to break everything!

Doesn't have much in common with the TGV or 300tdi. It's a 3V/cylinder OHCish design.

I thought the 2.8 TGV like yours was made by International Motors in Brazil? And in turn that engine was branded in the states as the '2.8 Power Stroke'? And finally, the 4.2 shown above was the 6 cylinder version of that engine?

Or are there two 2.8 diesels made by International Motors?

Also to aid the original question, the 4.2 MWM diesel was rated at 168 bhp in the 1990's suburbans, according to Wikipedia.

I thought the 2.8 TGV like yours was made by International Motors in Brazil?

And Argentina ;)

And in turn that engine was branded in the states as the '2.8 Power Stroke'?

International Engines built a range of engines called Powerstroke. The 2.8 is the smallest of these, though it bears no relation to any of the others in the range. The 2.5HS which they also built (= 300TDi) didn't get the name for some reason.

The 2.8TGV didn't officially make it to the US in a production vehicle AFAIK, only in South America in Ford pickups, Merc Sprinter vans and some others.

Or are there two 2.8 diesels made by International Motors?

At least two, maybe more. Seems they now have seperate websites for each branch of the company, so it's all a bit obscure.

Engine specs are available on the MWM International website. Operation and Maintenance manual is there as well. Sadly they don't seem to allow free download of the workshop manuals and parts catalogues like they used to.