Work of The prince of Darkness

I have been taking my 110 300Tdi Defender apart as it needs a new chassis. There is an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser fitted. I`ve taken the instrument panel off and have found the alarm box and another box wired into the loom with electronics in it but no markings. Is this the work of the Prince of Darkness and a normal state of affairs? I have looked at the wiring diagrams but can`t find a box.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

John

I have been taking my 110 300Tdi Defender apart as it needs a new chassis. There is an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser fitted. I`ve taken the instrument panel off and have found the alarm box and another box wired into the loom with electronics in it but no markings. Is this the work of the Prince of Darkness and a normal state of affairs? I have looked at the wiring diagrams but can`t find a box.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

John

I think you gave it away in the question (and if it's a Lucas alarm and immobiliser, Lord have mercy on your doomed soul, for Joseph Lucas truly is the Prince of Darkness). An aftermarket box won't appear on the LR diagrams ... best you can hope for is that someone might recognise the make or model (might be inside the box or on the bottom), but you probably don't want to advertise this on a public forum ... catch 22!

Thanks.

I`ve decided to ignore the box with no name and leave it wired as it is. There are an abundance of wires going into it which makes me wonder if it is part of the original wiring. The alarm box is easy to disconnect/connect. Spent a fun afternoon cutting out the wiring to the water heater and rooftop flashing light (ex-environment agency) and installing some proper connectors.

to remove an AFTERMARKET alarm/immobiliser just look at how it is wired ,,, any wires that attatch onto existing wires are normally feeds to or from the unit . such as live,ign live, earth, indicator o/p, central locking o/p, siren out etc. The wires interrupted and then put through the alarm are the immobiliser circuits, usually two and you can trace the cut and the join to remove the unit. This is basically common sense and straight forward. Every cable might be black going to the unit ,but it will originate at either a live , earth or a colour of wire that you can look up.

I used to fit them , both cat 1 and cat2 units and have removed hundreds for the motor trade. I wouldn`t usually advise leaving them in place when they are no longer used as an interruption of power can cause them to go active and start working, even if it appears faulty or not working