Help needed: Radius arms wont fit brackets

Hi,

I am changing the front axle on my Defender (300tdi, 90" from 1994), and everything was going juuust fine..

Old axle is of, and I am about to fix the old radius arms to the new axle.

The problem is that my radiusarms doesn't fit the new axle, since the front brackets are too narrow. On the new axle the brackets are approx. 48mm wide and on the old one they are approx. 53mm wide.

The radius arm itself would fit ok, but I my polybushes adds about 3mm to each side of the arm. On the old axle, that was not a problem, but now I cant persuade the radius arm to go on, not even with brute force.

Do I have a wrong axle for my vehicle? Or are there just different brackets?

Should I get som other type of bushes, or can I cut some of the polybush and the steel inner tube off, and get the radius arm to fit that way?

Any help is much appreciated - I really need the car to be running by the end of the holidays.. :-)

kind regards

Christian

There are 2 different size radius arms.....the sizes you discribe, you will need the earlier narrow type to fit the new axle, it's not a good idea to try to make your current ones fit. Just source the correct arms.

Hth

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the answer. I will try to get the old arms from the guy that sold me the axle. But I will need another type of bushes for this type of radius arm, wont I?

The bushes themselves are too wide now..

christian

There are 2 different size radius arms.....the sizes you discribe, you will need the earlier narrow type to fit the new axle, it's not a good idea to try to make your current ones fit. Just source the correct arms.

Hth

Dave

the older wide arm axles had stronger CVs in them ie AU2552s but weaker 10 spline shafts. so if you are thinking of upgrading to stronger shafts in due course i would keep the wheel stations so you can then use 24/23 shafts with the stronger CVs.

This radius arms here.