Jag V12 in a series....

Not sure how this topic came up last night, but it got me pondering.....

Now...the series gearbox isnt going to last long on the end of a V12, and assuming you can get hold of whatever adapter plate you need, what would you do?

- Use a permenant 4x4 gearbox....then what about the UJ problem in the front axle? Freewheeling hubs?

- Replace axles with defender axles?

- Use the jag autobox, and add a seperate transfer box?

Any ideas?

Guest diesel_jim

I agree with the above, my dad used to have one of the V12 XJS's, and it wasn't that quick really. his next car was the 3.6 XJS, and it virtually matched it for speed.

Now, if you could get a RR sport supercharged V8 (or jag XJR supercharged... that's what the old mans' got now!) that is a blisteringly quick powerful car!

James, the V12 is pretty gutless in standard tune BUT it has a very flat torque curve so would be suited to LR applications. There are also plenty of tuning bits and peices out there which can get you 500 odd bhp out of one of them. Size and weight will be againt you, though; these are BIG engines.

In terms of gearboxes, they use either a TH350 or TH400 (can't remember which although I think its the latter). Both of these are regarded as being amoung the best/toughest autoboxes out there and they can be made to take an LT230 off the back of them.

FYI the Jag 3.6 and 4.0 form the late 80's / 90s used a ZF4 HP22/24 which makes them relitivly easy to install into a Land Rover.

i'm sure i saw a series truck in one of the landy mags a few years ago with a Jag V12. i'm sure it had the front wings extended to fit it in.

as the others have said, its a bit gutless for such a huge lump of metal.... look awesome when all polished up though... ;)

i'd go for a small block Chevy, Overfinch have been puting them in defenders for years so it must be do-able in a series truck, and you can get about 1000bhp out of them if you supercharge them.... :);)

otherwise there are loads of BMW, Mercedes or Toyota engines out there (straight 6 or V8) if you want something different. <_<

I know of a guy who put a toyota 4.2TD in 109 safari... tuned to about 300bhp (put out over 200bhp as standard) it had huge sidepipes on it, and sounded like one of those racing trucks (supertrux?) that race at Brands... :)

m@tt. :)

I think the biggest problem with big power conversions is finding transmission parts that are up to the job. If you go for a Toyota engine you could pull the gearbox and transfer box too which would be a bonus. If you were really feeling adventurous you could take the axles aswell.....

Not sure how this topic came up last night, but it got me pondering.....

Now...the series gearbox isnt going to last long on the end of a V12, and assuming you can get hold of whatever adapter plate you need, what would you do?

- Use a permenant 4x4 gearbox....then what about the UJ problem in the front axle? Freewheeling hubs?

- Replace axles with defender axles?

- Use the jag autobox, and add a seperate transfer box?

Any ideas?

Not a series but might help!click here

Peter

yep, i realy like those cars... and what an engine. :)

had one pull onto the motorway next to me last week, it accelerated away from me, from about 50mph to ???? at an unbelievable rate.... :rolleyes:

have you seen the power and torque figures available from some of the current range of American V8 diesels.... with a little tuning, the cummins one can put out 1000lb of torque....!!!!! :D:rolleyes:;) B)

have you seen the power and torque figures available from some of the current range of American V8 diesels.... with a little tuning, the cummins one can put out 1000lb of torque....!!!!! :D:rolleyes:;) B)

i wonder if you could get one to fit a LR

Tom :)

i'm sure i saw a series truck in one of the landy mags a few years ago with a Jag V12.

m@tt. :)

Yes, he used to post regularly on the LROi forum, not seen him post for a while though (18 months or so), and Im buggered if I can remember is "handle"?

Another who has done it used to post on a newsgroup - alt.fan.landrover, which I know was still going a few months back.

Easy solution....don't wear any :P

No, I don't think that's a good idea even with vinyl seats... :ph34r:

I think the Touareg engine is beautiful. I'd certainly think long and hard about fitting one into a Land Rover to use as a tow barge. The Cummins V8s are also very, very nice. Some are ally blocked too. Mmmmmm...... I know of someone who's thinking about using one in a new project but I won't let the cat out of the bag.

You don’t want a v12 what you want is a,

Touareg V10 TDI

paint a big german flag on either side, a few swastikas for good measure, then revel in the treachery!

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

I'd rather put in a tuned-up RV8 while retaining self-respect, cheers

A while ago I picked up an interesting Series conversion.

It has a widened Series 3 body mounted on a Chevy Blazer chassis. It retains the Chevy 350, manual box, axles and bulkhead. The Series body is then grafted around this, using a widened split screen and profiled roof. A huge amount of work and who ever did it did a good job. You can sit four in the front and still have room for a dog!

It's in the back of the barn at the moment and I can't find any pics.

Does no one think about economy???????

VI2's,V10's, 1000lb V8's???

Good luck.... ;)

"Torch the red" off LROI Forums is selling his V12 S111 as he is off to NZ

in 6 weeks time..£500 Be quick!!!