single mass flywheel

My clutch release bearing is on its way out so I have a little work to do, while everything is out I was thinking of an upgrade.

It is an '03 defender with a Jeremy Fearne intercooler and remap, somewhere around the 185bhp mark, and tends to run with quite a bit of weight, I was thinking of fitting a Rakeway single mass flywheel, high performance clutch plate and heavy duty clutch release bearing.

Rakeway tell me to expect noise and vibration similar to a 300tdi once the duel mass flywheel is replaced.

Has anyone got any experience with this kit ? ( it costs a good £ 350 more than the OME )

Cheers in advance

Dunno if it's relevent, but Ford have issued a TSB on replacing the DMF's in Puma engined Transits with solid flywheels:

Subject/Concern: Premature clutch failures; Single mass flywheel and heavy duty clutch kit for service

Model:

Transit 2000.5 (01/2000–05/2006) - vehicles with 55 kW/75 PS; 66 kW/90 PS; 85 kW/115 PS; 88 kW/120PS; 92 kW/125 PS Build Date: 15.01.2000-18.04.2006

Build Code: 1J-6T

Engine: 2.4L Duratorq-DI/TDDi (Puma) Diesel

Transmission/Transaxle: MT-75

Markets: All

Section:

Summary

Should a customer express concern about clutch burn out, the probable cause is excessive clutch slip for long periods when pulling away, changing gear or low speed manoeuvring. This is likely to be most apparent to customers who operate for long periods with a fully laden vehicle and/or trailer (max GTM), i.e. a heavy duty user. A Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) should be recommended to these customers.

A SMF and heavy duty clutch will address the clutch burn out condition for heavy clutch users by providing a larger heat sink to transmit the heat away from the clutch lining.

• NOTE: The customer should be made aware that the decision to switch to an SMF solution results in a degraded NVH performance. He/she may experience noticeably higher level of interior noise and vibration in cruise and low speed driving up to 2000 rpm.

Parts Required

Description Finis Code Quantity

Vehicles built before 16.04.2002 (i.e. with Valeo clutch release systems):

Single mass flywheel 4 447 891 1

Bolt, flywheel 1 128 791 8

Clutch kit 1 341 329 1

Clutch release bearing 4 056 754 1

Crankshaft pulley 1 377 588 1

Accessory drive belt (non-AC) (If Required) 1 129 181 1

Accessory drive belt (with AC) (If Required) 1 129 182 1

Vehicles built after LuK release systems, post 16.04.2002:

Single mass flywheel 4 447 891 1

Bolt, flywheel 1 128 791 8

Clutch kit 1 530 440 1

Clutch release bearing 4 412 070 1

Crankshaft pulley 1 377 588 1

Accessory drive belt (non-AC) (If Required) 1 129 181 1

Accessory drive belt (with AC) (If Required) 1 129 182 1

It goes on to give full fitting instructions.

Interesting. The Puma Defender has already got a solid flywheel - it's one of the modifications they made when they put the engine in. I guess they saw the heavy workload coming and opted for the stronger route.