Shredded Belts Cause?

eddyoz

Purely coincidental,I suppose,just had new tyres and wheel alignment done on 1998 300TDI Disco.Drove 10 miles down the road and both belts shredded to about half their width....which went first,I do not know.Seems to be a fairly common occurrence on the 300TDI supposedly caused by an out of alignment tensioner.I have checked out all the alignments and bearings and all look good...all including belts were replaced about 2 years ago.The only spare belt I had was 7/1605,a bit long,but it runs true with no excess movement of the tensioner.So what is a more accurate method of checking the alignment?Or are there other possible reasons for the belt shredding?

Have ordered correct belts and tensioner,but will run as it is for the week awaiting the parts.Hopefully it will hold together,if not,then presumably it is the tensioner.

my 300 tdi just threw it's belt, it was half the width and it turned out the tensioner bearings had disintegrated, put another tensioner on which was out of alignment but worked fine with the half width belt, when i fitted a new full width one it tried to ride over the front of the top pulley, can't remember if it's the water pump or power steering, if it does run out of alignment then loosen the tensioner from the block and put a 1p coin behind the tensioner at the 9 o'clock position then retighten it, this will make the tensioner body sit out of line with the block but the tensioner pulley will run in line correctly.

Belts and pulley grooves all clean,so far running ok on the spare belt.When the air con belt broke it took out the compressor clutch wiring.Have managed to solder them back together,clutch works when connected to 12v,but not from the ac switch on the dash.Replaced a blown 30 amp fuse in the engine fuse box,60 amp ac fuse in the same box checked out as ok.I guess there must be another fuse somewhere.....anyone know?