Still trying to track down this slight vibration under power

Niamh

Having taken the precaution of replacing the RH front 1/2 shaft and CV joint which had some rotational play the vibration is still there.

It only starts at about 35MPH and is only there under power.

The front propshaft UJs are plat fess, there is only the bit of pay into the transfer box & front diff.

The rear doughnut is a bit cracked (see pictures post-11553-127036889753_thumb.jpg post-11553-127036891666_thumb.jpg) but is it bad enough to cause a vibration?

Niamh

i have just over come vibration under load on my disco, i took the front prop off and took it for a run, if it was that prop it wouldnt vibrate, as it turns out it was that one and i then found slight play in one of the uj's, if it hadnt been that i would have put the front one on again and done the same with the rear prop, hope that helps

i have just over come vibration under load on my disco, i took the front prop off and took it for a run, if it was that prop it wouldnt vibrate, as it turns out it was that one and i then found slight play in one of the uj's, if it hadnt been that i would have put the front one on again and done the same with the rear prop, hope that helps

After fixing the CV joint/halfshaft propshafts have to be the next thing to try, the question is which one to start with...

Niamh

Is the vibration very bad?

I'll stick my neck out and say it won't be CVs or halfshafts.

props/wheel balance/bushes is where I'd be looking

is the car modified in any way?

can you get someone else to go in the car with you to see if they can help ID it?

I spent ages and money looking for it on my defender it was the castor corrected arms I had fitted that made the original prop vibrate on overrun.

Is the vibration very bad?

No, if it was the source might be easier to locate

is the car modified in any way?

2" lift, and the vibe only started 6 months after the current wheels/tyres were fitted... can't have thrown a weight as they went on unbalanced.

can you get someone else to go in the car with you to see if they can help ID it?

My husband's been out with me can't even roughly locate a source

Niamh

I'd check wheelbearing play. Jack an axle up, undo the half shaft endcaps and see if there's any 'wobble' in the hubs.

I say remove the endcaps because I had an issue in that a wheel bearing collapsed, but with the wheel on and endcap still tight there was no play at the wheel! ... Only when I undid the endcap did the hub drop revealing the problem, which I'm still working on as it only happened a couple of days ago and the half-shaft won't come out!

I had the same problem, but mine started at 50mph.

My doughnut was cracked, probably a bit worse than yours.

I changed the prop for a spare I had with new doughnut and it cured it.

Top tip, buy a GKN doughnut, not a cheap one off ebay or you'll be replacing it sooner rather than later.

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem, but mine started at 50mph.

My doughnut was cracked, probably a bit worse than yours.

I changed the prop for a spare I had with new doughnut and it cured it.

Top tip, buy a GKN doughnut, not a cheap one off ebay or you'll be replacing it sooner rather than later.

DONT FORGET THERE IS A NYLON BUSH INSIDE THE END OF PROP SHAFT .

IT FITS OVER SPIGOT ON DIFF FLANGE

IF DOUGHNUT HAS WORN BAD THEN THE BUSH WILL ALSO BE WORN ALLOWING PROP TO MOVE OFF CENTRE

INCREASED PRESSURE ON DOUGHNUT SO WILL FAIL SOONER.

DONT ASK HOW I KNOW. :(