Cooling system question

Have been told by someone from a reputable land rover engine company that a blocked heater matrix could cause engine overheating. Does this sound feasible?

If so I guess an airlock in the matrix would casue the same problem. Just wondering but the heater matrix on my engine (200 tdi) is one of the highest points in the cooling system, ideal for trapping air? How does it escape?

Mark

never had a airlock in my 200Tdi's heater even after draining the complete cooling system, try this --- take the 2 hoses of the engine side & fill heater with a hose, then refit hoses to engine & fill rest of cooling system, once full, run the engine for say 10 minutes to circulate the coolant, heater is full low so no water valves to open or close, any trapped air should find it's way to the header tank & disperse, check the radiator & header tank levels & top up if required.

No, a fully working 200TDi radiator will happily cool a 200TDi engine in any weather, the heater is a seperate loop off the thermostat housing. The only differences a blocked heater matrix would make are that your heater wouldn't work and the engine would warm up a bit quicker.

Overheating of an otherwise un-modified engine* is a massive airlock (see Ralph's response), a blocked radiator, a leaking cooling system or the thermostat staying shut (test by dangling in hot water straight out of a boiling kettle to see if it opens) but in this last case the heater should be hot enough to strip paint!

So, could any of the other things be the problem?

* Tweaking the fuelling, running a different engine count as modified

Yes I didn't think the heater matrix itself could cause the engine to overheat. Will let you know when I eventually find the cause of the problem. Have a new radiator in the garage but will fix bent con-rod first and see if it runs any cooler then.

Cheers Mark

:blink:

How'd you do that then? If you've tried running it on water ;) , then that may have caused the head and head gasket some "issues", making it leak coolant ...

Yep it ran on water after head gasket went but temp had been high for 6 months or more and still is. Not in red just very close, past halfway on gauge.

Mark

Is it actually over heating, ie boiling or throwing all the coolant out or is the guage going up making you think it has over heated, ie guage or sender related fault ?

Well it certainly threw out plenty of coolant when it blew two head gaskets!

I can't decide whether its running too hot and blowing gaskets or if its a head or gasket problem casuing combustion gases to leak into cooling system and making it run hotter. I am now running a different head which seems better. At least there's no excessive pressure in the cooling system although it still seems to be running slightly hotter than before.

Will keep you posted of any developments.

Cheers Mark