salisbury disc conversion

hi. started doing the disc conversion on my salisbury rear axle. iv been following the disc conversion on here. iv used the original stub axle from the salisbury axle which im assuming are the same on the forum but when i went to test fit the rebuilt hubs and disc, there seems to be a gap on between the outer bearing and the locking washer when the hub is fully pushed on. anyone any ideas of whats needed. or what i have to do.

pleeeeease help , never done this before and everything was going ok till that point.

cheers everyone

chris

You should have: outer bearing | spacer | nut | lock washer | nut ?

I'll be doing mine once i collect it at the weekend, however i've decided just to buy the correct disk brake stub axles so its all as landrover intended.

Bear in mind, there are two types of stub axles with the 'D shape' profile in use here. One is designed to be used with the 'seal track spacer' FRC8227, and the other with a standard thrust washer FTC3185. The type using the former is where an outer hub seal is specified (FRC8222), and the latter is where there is no seal.

The difference is the length of the threaded section. The earlier stub axles have a shorter length of threaded end, which means that with the thinner thrust washer you can't get any pressure on the outer bearing.

My solution on my 90 (I was rebuilding the rear axle and had decided to convert to the later no-outer-seal system, as I prefer it, and I unknowingly hadn't ordered new stub axles) was to just use the seal track spacer (which goes on with the rubber section inwards) as intended originally, and just not install the outer hub seal (to let the oil in).

If you want to lose the spacer and just use the thrust washer, you'll need the later type of stub axle (FTC1740 I believe for Salisbury axles) rather than the earlier type, which should be FRC8540.

The difference is shown on these images, I've highlighted the seal track spacer in the first and the thrust washer in the second:

post-10578-127055872795_thumb.jpg

post-10578-127055872254_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps

hi. started doing the disc conversion on my salisbury rear axle. iv been following the disc conversion on here. iv used the original stub axle from the salisbury axle which im assuming are the same on the forum but when i went to test fit the rebuilt hubs and disc, there seems to be a gap on between the outer bearing and the locking washer when the hub is fully pushed on. anyone any ideas of whats needed. or what i have to do.

pleeeeease help , never done this before and everything was going ok till that point.

cheers everyone

chris

My last reply in this http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=50806&st=0&p=463173&fromsearch=1entry463173 thread might be your answer.