td5 speedo transducer query

i'm in the process of fitting the electronic td5 speedo to my 90 question is as i'm running a disco tramsfer box and 33" tyres which transducer will i need? my local supplier is sending me a defender one? is this correct? or is there something else i will need to get a correct reading or do i put up with it reading wrong?? thanks!!

Same as my 110 biggrin.gif

Sounds like Ralph's truck has different "intestines"laugh.gif V8 engine, disco t box, rangie gear box... de-cated tail rangie seats... and so on and so forth......ohmy.gif

My truck is a 99 MY td5 and uses the green transducer......wink.gif

Sounds like Ralph's truck has different "intestines"laugh.gif V8 engine, disco t box, rangie gear box... de-cated tail rangie seats... and so on and so forth......ohmy.gif

My truck is a 99 MY td5 and uses the green transducer......wink.gif

No, I meant same speedo gear & tyre size :rolleyes:

now i'm confused.... ihave a disco transfer box in already and you say i need a 20tooth and yet the link above says i have one in it already.... :blink:

green are 21 tooth gears, refer to the link above to the speedo gear list I complied a while back.

Don't assume that you have a particular gear in your box just because of the transfer ratio being what it is, or that it came. You never know who's changed what is the past!

Remove the transducer and prise out the gear with a small screwdriver, a very easy job with the box in the car; see what colour it is, count teeth etc, then make your calculated decision from there.

• 1 year later...

I have a TD5 speedo I was going to hook up to a 200tdi, my question is? Would it be easier to swap a new drive gear or just get a VDO speedo? I can get the VDO for $110 here in the US, and I figure by the time I find the right drive gear and swap it in, the VDO would be a better option. I just hooked up the VDO vision to my other truck and it was simple to install and set to get the exact speed. I run 285 75 16 and was wondering if its worth trying to get the right drive gear?

Thanks

I have a TD5 speedo I was going to hook up to a 200tdi, my question is? Would it be easier to swap a new drive gear or just get a VDO speedo? I can get the VDO for $110 here in the US, and I figure by the time I find the right drive gear and swap it in, the VDO would be a better option. I just hooked up the VDO vision to my other truck and it was simple to install and set to get the exact speed. I run 285 75 16 and was wondering if its worth trying to get the right drive gear?

Thanks

IIRC the VDO speedo can be user calibrated to sit the tyre size.

• 2 months later...

Any help please....I have re-built a Defender with 1/4 Lt230, R380 box. It is a 300 Tdi with the newer factory Td5 harness made for the 300. The problem I am having is the spedo, new, is reading about twice what it should be. I have installed the YBE100530 transducer and the blue gear. I do not know what else to look for? I was thinking I might have been sent the wrong transducer but?... Thanks

Any help please....I have re-built a Defender with 1/4 Lt230, R380 box. It is a 300 Tdi with the newer factory Td5 harness made for the 300. The problem I am having is the spedo, new, is reading about twice what it should be. I have installed the YBE100530 transducer and the blue gear. I do not know what else to look for? I was thinking I might have been sent the wrong transducer but?... Thanks

what size tyres are you running ??

the fFRC3310 blue 20tooth [standard fit in 110] should work fine with 7.50 or 235 or 255 tyres.

What brand was the transducer? There have been a number of reports on here recently of the Britpart ones double reading, most recent occurrence was NickWilliams, once he changed to a genuine transducer it read perfectly. I would suspect that double reading was a non genuine transducer rather than an incorrect gear as whilst the wrong gear would lead to an incorrect reading it wouldn't be as much as double given the range of gears available....

hth

What brand was the transducer? There have been a number of reports on here recently of the Britpart ones double reading, most recent occurrence was NickWilliams, once he changed to a genuine transducer it read perfectly. I would suspect that double reading was a non genuine transducer rather than an incorrect gear as whilst the wrong gear would lead to an incorrect reading it wouldn't be as much as double given the range of gears available....

hth

^^^^^ what he said...i had a problem with my Br*tpart one reading double..so switched to a genuine one and it read correctly.

Just running 265/75-16 tires. I might expect a little difference but not that much. I have looked on line and the transducers are green and mine is black. I checked the box and it does say YBE100630. Do you think I may have gotten the wrong part? I also checked the wiring loom and all seems correct.

I got mine from Brookwells a bit ago and think it was a lesser expensive one. It is in a generic box so I know it is not a LR OE part. I will source another one and check it out. I will post up as soon as I get it and tell everybody what happens. Thanks for your help